Activities in grad school-how much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kchan99

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'll probably end up going to a PhD program; I'm on 3 waiting lists for med school, and I'm from California, so I don't think I'll get in.

I'm just wondering how much volunteering I should do in grad school so I can get into med school after I finish grad school.

Members don't see this ad.

kchan99 said:
I'll probably end up going to a PhD program; I'm on 3 waiting lists for med school, and I'm from California, so I don't think I'll get in.

I'm just wondering how much volunteering I should do in grad school so I can get into med school after I finish grad school.
From what I've seen, about 100 to 200 hours of clinical volunteer work is sufficient, although many applicants have more than 500 hours.

However, the main factors for getting into medical school are your GPA and MCAT. Volunteer work, LORs, personal statement, interviews, and research are important. But it's often your GPA and MCAT that gets your foot in the door.

Also, getting a PhD is a big step, unless this was always part of your plans. Most people trying to improve their chances of getting into medical school would be more likely to get a masters degree in biology.

Talk to your premed advisor about ways to improve your application next time. After the admission cycle is over, contact the schools who wait-listed you, and politely ask for feedback.

Best of luck.

For whatever reason, I don't feel inclined to do a masters program. I don't want to be moving around the country so often. What sucks is that I'm from the wrong state; that is, California.

I had thought of an MD-PhD program, but I don't have the extensive research experience or the MCAT scores. I had been hoping to do really well on the MCAT last April, but I didn't do as well as I would like because I was recovering from surgery.

If I go to grad school, then I would hope to get into med school at the same institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
kchan99 said:
For whatever reason, I don't feel inclined to do a masters program. I don't want to be moving around the country so often. What sucks is that I'm from the wrong state; that is, California.

I had thought of an MD-PhD program, but I don't have the extensive research experience or the MCAT scores. I had been hoping to do really well on the MCAT last April, but I didn't do as well as I would like because I was recovering from surgery.

If I go to grad school, then I would hope to get into med school at the same institution.
If you want to get a PhD. That is, if you want to incorporate a PhD into whatever career you end up in, then I say go for it. I got a PhD before medical school, incorporated it into my medical career, and have no regrets about it.

But if you're simply looking to increase your chances of getting into medical school, you might want to consider something different. You probably also need to think in much broader terms than getting into a school where you do graduate work. It's just not all that likely (IMHO). But the good news is that there are definitely things you can do to turn things around.

1. If you did poorly on your premed courses, consider retaking them. Then retake the MCAT. Then reapply to medical school. Apply to a large number of schools. The average applicant applies to 11. You should probably apply to at least 18, which would include schools outside of CA.

2. While your application is being processed, start a quick masters in biology. This way if you have to reapply, you'll be in an even stronger position next time around.

I want to add that I will not be going to grad school in California.

As it stands right now, I hope to be doing work in neuroscience, specifically biological psychiatry. I wonder if I should volunteer in a clinical area somewhat related to my research interest.