Activities/work experience from college (12 years post grad)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biancadoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Any thoughts for how to approach activities and work experience from a long time ago? I graduated in 2005, and while a lot of my experiences (including all three of the ones I have as "most important") are current, I have stuff from my college days that I want to include, like working as an EMT and doing research in a biochem lab. The problem is, these jobs were so long ago that I don't have contacts anymore, nor do I have more than a vague idea of how much time I worked. Twenty year old me did not have her **** together, this is why I didn't go to med school out of college. :(

Has anyone dealt with this?? I'm only 33, and I can't imagine all you 40 year olds out there kept floppy disks with scrupulous records of how you spent your time in 1995. Then again, we are on SDN so... :p :bookworm:

Members don't see this ad.

We have quite a bit in common. I finished undergrad in 2006, had a WHOLE career in clinical research, got an MPH, and THEN applied (again) to med school. Difference: I only applied DO this cycle.

I listed EVERYTHING I felt was important, relevant, or meaningful -- no matter HOW long it had been! Granted, I had the same problems with the lack of contacts. I simply listed a current phone number for the organization and my direct supervisor (even if the person was no longer there. I remembered names, at least).

For paid employment, certainly someone at the organization can still pull your HR file (if anyone even bothers to verify, that is). For your research, I'd google your PI and include his/her most recent e-mail address, even if that PI is no longer at that institution.

I'm sure you have some idea what a typical day looked like for your each of your work experiences. As far as time worked, think back to the number of days per week you worked with/for each activity, and guesstimate. If it helps, this is what I used:
  • full time employment, 40h/week;
  • part time, 20/week.
  • For clubs/extracurriculars, 4h/week.
  • volunteer jobs, 8h/week.
Hope this helps. Best to you.

Reactions: 1 user