Activity - Physics

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mspeedwagon

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have the hang of half life problems, but am starting to see a few talking about activity. Wouldn't the answer to below just be 8330 decays per minute on the first day? Am I missing something?


Measurements of the radioactivity of a certain isotope tell you that the decay rate decreases from 8330 decays per minute to 3080 per minute over a period of 4.00 days. What is the activity of the isotope the first day?
 
Rate of change of decay rate = (3080 - 8330)/(4*24*60) = −0.911458333 decays/min^2 (deceleration of decay)
I don't understand the question though. What do you mean by activity? How many decays happened over the first day?
decays D1 = 8330*(24*60) −0.911458333*(24*60)^2/2 (just like constant acceleration equation)
decay rate at the end of day1?
decay rate@the end of D1 = 8330 - 24*60*0.911458333 or simply 8330 - (8330-3080)/4
 
I was a little confused by the question too. I think you are right. So the rate you get is basically in decays/min. Is that the rate that the isotope is decaying exactly after 24 hrs (slowed, but not to the final rate of decay). Just want to make sure I understand what was solved for.

Rate of change of decay rate = (3080 - 8330)/(4*24*60) = −0.911458333 decays/min^2 (deceleration of decay)
I don't understand the question though. What do you mean by activity? How many decays happened over the first day?
decays D1 = 8330*(24*60) −0.911458333*(24*60)^2/2 (just like constant acceleration equation)
decay rate at the end of day1?
decay rate@the end of D1 = 8330 - 24*60*0.911458333 or simply 8330 - (8330-3080)/4