Acts of kindness during interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pyrrion89

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to strike up a positive thread on kind things others have done for you, or you have done for others, during the stressful interview day. I was recently reminded of a memory I had of going up the elevator in a VA hospital to meet my interviewer. While in the elevator, there was a physician who entered, saw my name tag, and casually stood behind me. He tapped me on the shoulder and told me I forgot to cut off the strings that bind the vents at the bottom of the backside of my suit. (I had never really worn suits, and I had a new one on, and I didn't even know there were vents... or that they come with strings binding them together when you buy them.) He chuckled and got on his knees and cut them off with his car keys. He got off the elevator and wished me good luck on my interview (he could tell by my name tag, I am guessing.)

Anyone have any stories to share? I hope to hear some! Oh, and these are vents... for those few of us who are oblivious!
The-Vents.png

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
I've done similar things with gents that clearly had no experience wearing suits (not that I'd had much myself). Seeing someone with all 3 buttons on their suit buttoned up, for instance.

Reactions: 3 users
I've done similar things with gents that clearly had no experience wearing suits (not that I'd had much myself). Seeing someone with all 3 buttons on their suit buttoned up, for instance.

My suit only has 2 buttons. Am I wearing the wrong type of suit?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My suit only has 2 buttons. Am I wearing the wrong type of suit?

I also wore a 2 button suit. 3 buttons are kind of a new fad and the general thought is that they'll die out.

Reactions: 1 user
A guy had both buttons buttoned at one of my interviews but I decided not to say anything. He also wore a PS which personally would omit for an interview.

I almost fell over reaching back to hold the door for someone as my interviewer and I were leaving the stew room. I also offered to help the pregnant director of admissions at mcw pack up her cart of admissions stuff after interview day. I didn't want to insist because I wasn't sure (that would have been awkward!). Hope i didn't come off as up-sucky.

As I walked past the ER they were overloaded, because of a 50 car pileup, so I helped triage and stabilize incoming patients until the ER doctors had everything under control again. I received a standing ovation as I walked on my way. Even the most critical patients were jumping up and down on their gurneys, screaming in joy. I barely made it on time. I think they were making too big of a deal out of it, because that was just another average day in my life, barely worth mentioning..

Reactions: 19 users
I was hoping to strike up a positive thread on kind things others have done for you, or you have done for others, during the stressful interview day. I was recently reminded of a memory I had of going up the elevator in a VA hospital to meet my interviewer. While in the elevator, there was a physician who entered, saw my name tag, and casually stood behind me. He tapped me on the shoulder and told me I forgot to cut off the strings that bind the vents at the bottom of the backside of my suit. (I had never really worn suits, and I had a new one on, and I didn't even know there were vents... or that they come with strings binding them together when you buy them.) He chuckled and got on his knees and cut them off with his car keys. He got off the elevator and wished me good luck on my interview (he could tell by my name tag, I am guessing.)

Anyone have any stories to share? I hope to hear some! Oh, and these are vents... for those few of us who are oblivious!
The-Vents.png

This makes me happy. A lot of student hosts I stayed with really went out of their way to accommodate me and help get me to/from where I needed to be. Extremely grateful, can't wait to return the favor with future interviewees.

I had a flat tire on my way to an interview and ended up swapping out for the doughnut in my skirt suit..in less than ideal weather...I was a bit late to the start of the interview day but literally every person I passed who knew where I must be going in the building pointed me in the right direction, first to a restroom to clean up, then to the admissions office. The admissions staff were super accommodating too :D

As I walked past the ER they were overloaded, because of a 50 car pileup, so I helped triage and stabilize incoming patients until the ER doctors had everything under control again. I received a standing ovation as I walked on my way. Even the most critical patients were jumping up and down on their gurneys, screaming in joy. I barely made it on time. I think they were making too big of a deal out of it, because that was just another average day in my life, barely worth mentioning..

Twist: He caused the pileup.

Towards the end of one of my interviews, my interviewer pulled out something from the office and gave me a present that was worth $250. I sat there looking flustered for 2 minutes and told him that I couldn't accept such an expensive gift. He thought I didn't have room in my luggage when I said that. And I was like ummm no... :D He then told me that it was worth it to give that present to me and added that I was really going to become someone great in the future.

Towards the end of one of my interviews, my interviewer pulled out something from the office and gave me a present that was worth $250. I sat there looking flustered for 2 minutes and told him that I couldn't accept such an expensive gift. He thought I didn't have room in my luggage when I said that. And I was like ummm no... :D He then told me that it was worth it to give that present to me and added that I was really going to become someone great in the future.

:eek:

edit:jealous....

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
:eek:

edit:jealous....

Lol, it was kind of awkward because I really didn't want to accept it, but my interviewer kept on trying to give it to me. And then he thought it was because I didn't have room in my luggage to bring it back with me haha.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
And just what was this magical item of interest? Don't hook us with such tasty bait and then leave us hanging that would be totally unprofessional

You can PM me if you really want to know. ;)

I had a flat tire on my way to an interview and ended up swapping out for the doughnut in my skirt suit..in less than ideal weather...I was a bit late to the start of the interview day but literally every person I passed who knew where I must be going in the building pointed me in the right direction, first to a restroom to clean up, then to the admissions office. The admissions staff were super accommodating too :D
Whoa, you keep a donut in your skirt!! I've never seen that.

And just what was this magical item of interest? Don't hook us with such tasty bait and then leave us hanging that would be totally unprofessional
An engagement ring. Things got weird at that interview.

Reactions: 6 users
So many great acts of kindness on the trail! At UVM, a fellow interviewee gave three of us a ride to the airport, even though she had to move her snow tires around to fit our luggage. At Brown an interviewee gave another interviewee a ride back to Boston. At Harvard a friend of an interviewee bought a bunch of us a round of drinks after the interview. An interviewee also offered me a place to stay on a future interview.

I'm glad all of the nice folks I met on the trail are going to be docs one day!

A guy had both buttons buttoned at one of my interviews but I decided not to say anything. He also wore a PS which personally would omit for an interview.
If you know what you're doing a PS is perfect (plain white cotton TV fold, 1/8-1/4 inch showing). If you're the type of person who doesn't know how to button your jacket, leave the hanky at home.

One of my interviewers gave me a ride to the bus station over me taking a taxi or the bus. I am now attending that school.

An engagement ring. Things got weird at that interview.

Man, $250 for an engagement ring? Weak.

Now I'm laughing to myself, thinking about what this guy could have given nemo as a gift. Right now, I'm imagining him pulling out a giant waffle maker from his desk and just awkwardly handing it to nemo on his/her way out of the interview.

Reactions: 11 users
One of the students during my BU interview hosted me on same day's notice after I couldn't get the key for my original student host's room (who had gone on break and left his key for me in his locker, but there was a power outage and security wouldn't let me in...). Mind you, this was right after my red-eye, early in the morning on the Sunday after exams on Friday. They gave me advice, offered me food, and just chatted for a couple hours. At the end of the day, bunch of students and few other interviewees all watched the World Series game while drinking beers. Gave an awesome impression of BU! (If they'd just give me an acceptance now ...)

Oh, I also split a taxi with @pyrrion89 after my BU interview, so we both saved money. :p

Man, $250 for an engagement ring? Weak.

Now I'm laughing to myself, thinking about what this guy could have given nemo as a gift. Right now, I'm imagining him pulling out a giant waffle maker from his desk and just awkwardly handing it to nemo on his/her way out of the interview.
-Goes to Sharper Image website
-Clicks "$200-$300"
-Laughs progressively harder imagining the interviewer giving nemo these gifts.

"Nemo, before you go, I'd like you to have this Oversized Floating Lounge. I know, I know, it's too much, but what can I say? You're a one-of-a-kind applicant, and you should have a one-of-a-kind swimming pool experience."

Reactions: 14 users
Another applicant picked some lint off of my jacket while we were on our tour. I thought that was really nice.

I've given several people a drive to/from airports, because I almost always end up renting cars. It's nice to have the company after an interview.

Another applicant picked some lint off of my jacket while we were on our tour. I thought that was really nice.

I've given several people a drive to/from airports, because I almost always end up renting cars. It's nice to have the company after an interview.

Hmm... yeah I think we interviewed together. I believe you offered me a ride and I took your pic:

mr-monopoly.jpg

..or maybe you're just over the age of 25.

(Either way, it's not a bad idea. Trips are always easier when you have a car at your disposal...unless you're heading to NYC.)

Hmm... yeah I think we interviewed together. I believe you offered me a ride and I took your pic:

View attachment 177504

..or maybe you're just over the age of 25.

(Either way, it's not a bad idea. Trips are always easier when you have a car at your disposal...unless you're heading to NYC.)
Pro tip - you can rent a car under the age of 25, you just have to pay an extra "fee" its usually $15-25 per day extra.

Pro tip - you can rent a car under the age of 25, you just have to pay an extra "fee" its usually $15-25 per day extra.

yeah I know.. that's why I made him Rich Uncle Pennybags from Monopoly. That's right...my definition of insanely wealthy is very skewed.

That is a good tip for everyone to know though!

Wrong. 2 button suit takes only the top button.
I think they were talking about the number of buttons on the suit, not which ones to button.

As for the suits- two button is actually more modern and more "hip" today, which is why it seems the three button is going away.

As for buttons:
If it has three follow this rule for the buttons from top to bottom: sometimes, always, never.
For two buttons, button the top one always, bottom one never.

And always unbutton when sitting down. It's acceptable to walk around either unbuttoned or buttoned, obviously buttoned looking more professional.

And never do what Kumar did.

As for the suits- two button is actually more modern and more "hip" today, which is why it seems the three button is going away.

As for buttons:
If it has three follow this rule for the buttons from top to bottom: sometimes, always, never.

And always unbutton when sitting down. It's acceptable to walk around either unbuttoned or buttoned, obviously buttoned looking more professional.

:smack::bang: Why was no one kind to me at an interview and tell me to unbutton my bottom suit jacket button?

As for buttons:

I honestly did not know any of this during my interviews. Although I slowly picked it up during the day watching the others :laugh:

I had an MMI interview where it was basically a debate format (i.e. debate against the other pre-med on the topic the school picked for 7 minutes and then spend 3 minutes discussing how you thought each other did). There was a moment where the person I was debating against kind of froze up and didn't know what to say or how to proceed so I kind of tried to prompt him along. (i.e. topic was "thing X is bad for the medical field as a whole") so I asked him if there were any times when he thought it might be appropriate. He seemed to kick back into gear from there and the rest of the station went find. He did say "thank you" during the debrief period for just keeping the ball rolling.

At the end of the day, we are all in the same boat as we try to get into med school. I know there are gunners out there, but I'd rather be helpful for people fighting for the same thing I am than just sit there and watch them sink. Med school interviewing is hard enough, it was nice to have a "feel good" moment for the day :)

Too many hosts have been too kind to me to name all of them. From showing me the sights of San Diego or New York to letting my borrow their steamer to just letting me crash on the couch. I have a suit that the color tends to stick up on and have had two people tell me it was up at different schools. @runningdude let me hitch a ride in his car and saved my cellphone. Too many to name. So many nice people.

I did go to 2 interviews on crutches and 5 with a brace. People were genuinely helpful and encouraging even in the airports.

Wrong. 2 button suit takes only the top button.

The suit, not the number of buttons buttoned. Totally different topic. You are correct, but I was correct before you were correct

A security guard in the Admissions building at one medical school was very over-the-top encouraging to all of us applicants. When I walked in, he told me I looked good and was going to do great. We we walked by as a group during the tour, he cheered us on and told us we where all going to rock the interview. It was nice :)

I had a lady who was a staff member at one University stop me in the parking structure to tell me I looked really sharp.

And a shout out to all the folks who share my love of the outdoors, and listened while I waxed on about kayaking, backpacking and rock climbing. Seems there was one poor soul at every interview that heard about my recreation passions.

I just had an interview in New York and got stuck there due to all the issues the airlines are experiencing (I live in Washington state). My cousin goes to the Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, so my aunt posted on a Parents' Facebook page for their school and got multiple offers from parents to come pick me up and let me stay with them. It was amazing to experience how many people in this world are still willing to help a stranger in a difficult situation.

I had an MMI interview where it was basically a debate format (i.e. debate against the other pre-med on the topic the school picked for 7 minutes and then spend 3 minutes discussing how you thought each other did).

I hope to the almighty spaghetti monster that I never interview at this school. This sounds absolutely terrible. Your approach, however, seems to be exactly what the school is looking for -- I hope. I would guess that schools want to see if, when placed in an ubercompetitive stressful atmosphere, if you remain a professional team player who is still able to voice their views confidently or turn into an dingus gunner. I would then suspect that the school selects for the former type of person and not the latter -- I hope.

At the University of Wisconsin's surgery program interviews, they have an emergency supply kit in the bathroom for all the applicants. Has like Tide stain sticks, band-aids, rolaids, advil, febreze, and several other things with a nice little note saying good luck and just in case.

That always stuck with me. Pretty nice touch.