Actual Raw to Scaled

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GoZags

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking for previous threads that addressed this but for the actual MCAT administrations, are the raw to scaled score conversions likely to be the same as the AAMC practice tests? I'm trying to get a feel for what the scoring possibility is for me, just took my MCAT today and was slightly concerned with how I felt I did. Anyways, anyone have any general idea?

I also wanted to address this mysterious fact about "experimental questions" on every MCAT exam? And that these questions aren't scored but in fact thrown out, is that true regardless of answering them correctly?

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking for previous threads that addressed this but for the actual MCAT administrations, are the raw to scaled score conversions likely to be the same as the AAMC practice tests? I'm trying to get a feel for what the scoring possibility is for me, just took my MCAT today and was slightly concerned with how I felt I did. Anyways, anyone have any general idea?

I also wanted to address this mysterious fact about "experimental questions" on every MCAT exam? And that these questions aren't scored but in fact thrown out, is that true regardless of answering them correctly?

To my knowledge, experimental passages and questions are only thrown out if the writers feel they are too difficult in comparison to what a 'normal' or 'average' MCAT should be like. If they're thrown out then they will be thrown out before the test is administered, the curve is preset.

The way it looks to me honestly is that if you feel that the test was about as hard as an average AAMC test, then there will probably be no curve. If you felt it was harder and some passages were just ridiculous (this is assuming that you were prepared) then there is a very good chance that those passages were too hard, and might be thrown out. MCATs that are more difficult than AAMC practice tests seem to have much nicer curves, which is why people feel so crappy after taking it and are genuinely surprised when they do well.

To my knowledge, experimental passages and questions are only thrown out if the writers feel they are too difficult in comparison to what a 'normal' or 'average' MCAT should be like. If they're thrown out then they will be thrown out before the test is administered, the curve is preset.

The way it looks to me honestly is that if you feel that the test was about as hard as an average AAMC test, then there will probably be no curve. If you felt it was harder and some passages were just ridiculous (this is assuming that you were prepared) then there is a very good chance that those passages were too hard, and might be thrown out. MCATs that are more difficult than AAMC practice tests seem to have much nicer curves, which is why people feel so crappy after taking it and are genuinely surprised when they do well.

Been studying hard (4-6 hours per day) for the past 2.5 months or so and my last 4 practice exams went 31-34-34-33 and I felt pretty decently prepared and today I felt terrible and didn't think the real deal mirrored the practice exams, thought it was significantly more difficult. Well anyways I guess there is hope but I'm still going to register for a september testing date, I hope you're right!

There's no real way of knowing if there were experimental passages/questions on your exam or not. The best one can do is speculate, which is counterproductive and uninformative.

You're just gonna have to wait till score release day to find out. Get your mind off the MCAT in the meantime and relax.

Members don't see this ad :)
Been studying hard (4-6 hours per day) for the past 2.5 months or so and my last 4 practice exams went 31-34-34-33 and I felt pretty decently prepared and today I felt terrible and didn't think the real deal mirrored the practice exams, thought it was significantly more difficult. Well anyways I guess there is hope but I'm still going to register for a september testing date, I hope you're right!

I took the test today too. My lowest AAMC practice score was a 35, and I took all of 3-11. I felt very prepared going in and absolutely terrible walking out, so you're not alone haha. Here's hoping everyone else felt the same way... :xf:

I took the test today too. My lowest AAMC practice score was a 35, and I took all of 3-11. I felt very prepared going in and absolutely terrible walking out, so you're not alone haha. Here's hoping everyone else felt the same way... :xf:

Yeah pretty brutal but what can ya do, hopefully it turns out better than I expected...Can't take the gamble tho I'm gonna keep studying and roll again in september, maybe if scores are good enough I will opt out but still...:eek: