Actual Verbal Score for those who used EK Verbal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnH

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious how everyone who used the ek 101 verbal did on the actual exam. i'm scoring 8's on the ek tests. i've read the other threads saying that 8's shouldn't be that bad on the actual test but i was wondering if those of you who took the test would post your scores for those of us that are getting worried about our scores. :D

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

JohnH said:
I'm just curious how everyone who used the ek 101 verbal did on the actual exam. i'm scoring 8's on the ek tests. i've read the other threads saying that 8's shouldn't be that bad on the actual test but i was wondering if those of you who took the test would post your scores for those of us that are getting worried about our scores. :D

Thanks

My scores ranged from 8-10 (mostly 9s I think). I got an 11 on the real thing.

I'm probably an exception (so don't get freaked out), but I was scoring 8s and 9s on the EK101 tests last year and I ended up with a 6 on the actual August '04 MCAT. I'm re-doing these test these days while studying for August '05 and scoring a bit better (9-11), so we'll see what happens.

As a general aside, I find the EK101 Verbal passages "funner/easier" to read, while the Princeton review/Kaplan passages are more difficult to comprehend.

Members don't see this ad :)
SensesFail said:
As a general aside, I find the EK101 Verbal passages "funner/easier" to read, while the Princeton review/Kaplan passages are more difficult to comprehend.

What about the actual AAMC passages? I find the EK 101 passages to be fun to read too but I havent tried the AAMC ones yet.

i was averaging 8 on most EK verbal tests, and i got 10 on the real thing.

I had similar results on the EK tests and wound up with a 10 on the Spring '05.
However, I hate to sound like a broken record in repeating this, but the big weakness of EK is that they dont have any 7 or 8 question passages like they do on the AAMC tests(6R, 7R, 8R, etc).
Neither kaplan,TPR, nor EK tackle this problem.
It might sound strange to those who are naturally gifted and read alot, but for people like me who had to really slog through the VR section, ANYTHING that throws off your rhythm is going to rattle you and potentially hurt your performance on subsequent passages.
Tough passage + tough 8 questions + 9 minutes for this longer section = lots of pressure

JohnH said:

Thanks

Sust said:
the big weakness of EK is that they dont have any 7 or 8 question passages like they do on the AAMC tests(6R, 7R, 8R, etc).

Tough passage + tough 8 questions + 9 minutes for this longer section = lots of pressure

This is the complete truth! I was scoring 9-10 on my EK tests, 10-11 on the AAMC tests, and got an 11 on the April exam. What I was lucky with was that the real test had the hardest passage and it's 10 questions last (Form DG). Once you hit about question 7/8, it starts to wear you out. Plus they have had plenty of previous questions to support a false theme/idea.

Try to find some passage with 8-9 questions to practice.

Good luck,

Adam