Acute rehab billing- help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myrandom2003

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Being asked to help out my inpatient counterparts to cover a week of inpatient due to need and locums flaking.

Haven’t done it in about 11 years. Are the billing codes the same? 99231-3 for followups?

What’s the admit/discharge code?

Can you bill for team meetings?

Anything Specific I need to document in my daily note other than their rehab progress and medical issues?

Members don't see this ad.

No for team meetings. Also for IPOCs.

Yes same codes for daily.

Hopefully you have IM coverage if you haven’t done inpatient in a decade.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yea I am primarily outpatient spine and inpatient pain consults. There is hospitalist coverage.
I know e&m pretty well. Just wanted to make sure there isn’t anything new from a billing/coding aspect.

Thanks for the help.

You can't bill for team meetings, but you can bill for time so often you can bill a higher follow-up code on team meeting days, depending on how long your conferences take, how much time you spent with the patient that day, etc.

Reactions: 2 users
You can't bill for team meetings, but you can bill for time so often you can bill a higher follow-up code on team meeting days, depending on how long your conferences take, how much time you spent with the patient that day, etc.
That's exactly what I do - I bill a higher code on team conf days as I see the patient and spend a few hours in team conference talking about stuff, update the patient, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
99223 On admission days.
99232 on most progress notes.
99233 on team conference days or days with medical complications (I manage 95% of these myself).
99239 for most discharges.
99238 for super duper easy discharges (hip fracture with 3 meds to reconcile, for instance).

Reactions: 4 users
So for acute inpatient rehab inside a hospital, Is the place of service for the professional claim considered

21- A facility, other than psychiatric, which primarily provides diagnostic, therapeutic (both surgical and nonsurgical), and rehabilitation services by, or under, the supervision of physicians to patients admitted for a variety of medical conditions.

Or is it

61 - A facility that provides comprehensive rehabilitation services under the supervision of a physician to inpatients with physical disabilities. Services include physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech pathology, social or psychological services, and orthotics and prosthetics services.

??

So for acute inpatient rehab inside a hospital, Is the place of service for the professional claim considered

21- A facility, other than psychiatric, which primarily provides diagnostic, therapeutic (both surgical and nonsurgical), and rehabilitation services by, or under, the supervision of physicians to patients admitted for a variety of medical conditions.

Or is it

61 - A facility that provides comprehensive rehabilitation services under the supervision of a physician to inpatients with physical disabilities. Services include physical therapy, occupational therapy, speech pathology, social or psychological services, and orthotics and prosthetics services.

??
I'm leaning towards the first since it's a unit, not a rehab hospital, but I don't know fore sure.

What's the reason? If it's for billing I'd run the question by your billers.

Or is it

??
Place of service for acute rehab is 61
Place of service of medsurg - where you bill consults is 21.
Get ready for some sweet 99222-21 consults followed by 99223 -61 AI (primary admitting physician modifier)