Adapting to change

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

All the city self-saturated ODs complain. Let's hear from rural ODs or other low population density areas.

The area I practice in draws from a population of about 100,000. Not what I would consider rural, but still fairly small. As of now I think the town is at a point of market equilibrium for eye care. If somebody new tried to come and set up shop they'd probably be hurting for awhile since both population and demand for services has grown only marginally the past few years. With that being said, I don't think it's necessary to reiterate the statements that the two outspoken doctors on this forum have already mentioned. They exist in smaller markets too. But, I'll try and offer some advice that I felt help me succeed in the few years since graduation.

1. Regional tuition for SCO was low, relatively speaking and cost of living in Memphis is reasonable. Go where tuition is cheap and cost of living is low. I was about $78,000 in the red upon graduation. This leads me to my next point...

2. I got married before graduate school started and my wife got a job that yielded us enough to pay all our bills. Having her companionship, home cooked meals and all my laundry done made getting through school easier too. Find somebody that you love, then mooch off them.

3. Most Friday nights and some Saturdays during college football season I would work as a bartender. Being the gatekeeper to drunk people getting more drinks can be quite lucrative. With this extra money I bought Bud Light or invested in fine silver bullion. You can always find a lame part-time job like swiping library cards or something; even $100 per week goes a long way. If you manage your time wisely working part-time while studying is doable and a smart decision.

4. Keeping in touch with a few doctors in an area I knew I wanted to live in was very valuable. I would stop in during the winter holidays to say hello and invite them to play golf during the summers. I didn't end up working for any of them, but they had the inside information of who was looking for help. Good opportunities aren't listed on the internet. A few students I've written positive letters for keep in touch with me. They are polite, well-dressed and eager to learn and get involved in local societies and politics. I'm confident they will make good assets to the profession. The problem is for every 1 of those, I get 20 lazy, good for nothings that show up wearing jeans, girls with their boobs handing out, guys with scraggly facial hair that think they have a respectable beard, no confidence, no eye contact. These are probably the types on the pre-opt forum that post "Derrr, do you think I can get admitted with my 2.8 GPA and 280 OAT?" I'm always happy to fill out those admissions letters for these types by checking "NO" on all the questions.

5. Here's an obvious but important one...stay out of trouble. A few of my classmates were arrested for doing stupid stuff like drinking and driving, smoking dope, getting in bar fights. The fines, lawyer and court fees drove them further into debt. They also had a fun time explaining their history to the state boards when trying to get licensed. Perhaps almost as stupid, they blew their loan money on unnecessary luxury items like vacations, new cars, iPhones. Don't do that either.

I don't care if people choose optometry as a career or not. I'm not a guidance counselor. What I do care about is if you do decide to pursue it, that you represent yourself and the profession to the highest standards. This is something that, in my opinion, is severely lacking. It has been lacking for quite sometime.

Members don't see this ad.

Actually you will be left with about $100 for food, gas, entertainment, etc. per month in my example. Might want to read it over again.

The thing is.........very few doctors really LOVE their work after a while. Everything gets old and routine eventually. All fields are like this. When I hear someone has " a passion for eyecare" it makes me lightheaded. That is somethng you put on an application or say when you are in a beauty pagent. Any "passion" you have will end in a few years. Trust me. The job, patients, insurance and your bosses WILL beat you down over time (mainly insurance and patients). THEN it becomes just a job to feed the family and make the house payment. Please don't think otherwise. Lifes responsiblites WILL meet you head on. Before you know it, you will be 35 with a couple of kids, a spouse, a house payment, car payments, bills, bills, bills......

As I've proclaimed before, if you dead-set in going into health care and don't want to be an MD, dentistry, BY FAR, is your best bet. Why?

1. They have virtually no competetion except for other dentists. ODs have, of course, other ODs.........and OMDs, pediatricians, family docs, PAs, NPs, and nurses competeing for your eye care patients. Then ODs have 100 online companies competing for their optical sales.

As an example: Pediatricians are getting greedy lately and billing an autorefraction as an eye exam to patient's insurance. So when they go to ODs, they have no insurance benefits for the eye exam and don't get one. You deal with silly stuff like this all the time.....stuff that takes money right out of your pocket. Is it legal? Well, an MD degree gives you the right to do about anything. A Peds doc can do an eye exam if they want. (realistically they are not doing an eye exam but still they get away with it--no one can stop them).

2. Dentistry does not have a vast oversupply. They smartly shut down schools and limited their supply years ago. As a result, they have a very manageable dentist to population ratio. You can set up a dentist office and be doing well in 1 year and be ready to hire an associate in two. A private OD office will likely never be fully booked. That's why private ODs don't hire other ODs. There are not enough pts to keep even one OD busy full-time.

3. Dentistry has limited their involvement with stupid insurance. THAT ALONE is worth the price of admission ! ;) They get to charge REAL market fees for most of their procedures instead of accepting $30 for an exam that cost you $40 in overhead. And people in tooth pain rarely haggle over prices. No way to get a filling or braces on-line and never will be (THATS A KEY!!).

These 3 reason alone is why dentistry is heads above optometry and most other health professions. Don't believe me. Head on over to the dental forum on SDN and see if you see the amount of complaining and doom that is here on the optometry pages.

The pediatricians should absolutely not be doing this, and I don't actually think many of them are because if found out they'd be charged with insurance fraud and have a whole lot of legal problems. They will often bill for sub-par eye exams and that pisses off the OMDs too. If I ever saw a patient referred that had experienced that, I'd be tempted to do a well child visit in my clinic and bill for it just to piss the referring pediatrician off. I've done a hundred or so already and I'll see some more as a PGY-1. I'm sure that's the attitude the ones that are doing this have about eye exams.

And you're right. Dentistry IS the best health profession. Reimbursement is good, they have limited involvement in insurances like HMOs, and they CONTROL THEIR NUMBERS so their field isn't saturated (lookin' at you here guys).

And the ophthos too:
WhatNEyeTem said:
Eyeballs' 150k initial salary is not as sexy as the 350-400k initial starting salaries for Anesthesiologists or Radiologis

That is not a lowball salary. That IS the starting salary. In fact on average it's closer to $120k. Check aaojobs or call around to some new OMD practices. They will tell you.

Members don't see this ad :)
That is not a lowball salary. That IS the starting salary. In fact on average it's closer to $120k. Check aaojobs or call around to some new OMD practices. They will tell you.

This eye care oversupply is really getting out of hand. $40 reimbursement for an eye exam? WTF. We have a new AOA president now and he is actually taking actions to make people aware of the issues.

The area I practice in draws from a population of about 100,000. Not what I would consider rural, but still fairly small. As of now I think the town is at a point of market equilibrium for eye care. If somebody new tried to come and set up shop they'd probably be hurting for awhile since both population and demand for services has grown only marginally the past few years. With that being said, I don't think it's necessary to reiterate the statements that the two outspoken doctors on this forum have already mentioned. They exist in smaller markets too. But, I'll try and offer some advice that I felt help me succeed in the few years since graduation.

1. Regional tuition for SCO was low, relatively speaking and cost of living in Memphis is reasonable. Go where tuition is cheap and cost of living is low. I was about $78,000 in the red upon graduation. This leads me to my next point...

2. I got married before graduate school started and my wife got a job that yielded us enough to pay all our bills. Having her companionship, home cooked meals and all my laundry done made getting through school easier too. Find somebody that you love, then mooch off them.

3. Most Friday nights and some Saturdays during college football season I would work as a bartender. Being the gatekeeper to drunk people getting more drinks can be quite lucrative. With this extra money I bought Bud Light or invested in fine silver bullion. You can always find a lame part-time job like swiping library cards or something; even $100 per week goes a long way. If you manage your time wisely working part-time while studying is doable and a smart decision.

4. Keeping in touch with a few doctors in an area I knew I wanted to live in was very valuable. I would stop in during the winter holidays to say hello and invite them to play golf during the summers. I didn't end up working for any of them, but they had the inside information of who was looking for help. Good opportunities aren't listed on the internet. A few students I've written positive letters for keep in touch with me. They are polite, well-dressed and eager to learn and get involved in local societies and politics. I'm confident they will make good assets to the profession. The problem is for every 1 of those, I get 20 lazy, good for nothings that show up wearing jeans, girls with their boobs handing out, guys with scraggly facial hair that think they have a respectable beard, no confidence, no eye contact. These are probably the types on the pre-opt forum that post "Derrr, do you think I can get admitted with my 2.8 GPA and 280 OAT?" I'm always happy to fill out those admissions letters for these types by checking "NO" on all the questions.

5. Here's an obvious but important one...stay out of trouble. A few of my classmates were arrested for doing stupid stuff like drinking and driving, smoking dope, getting in bar fights. The fines, lawyer and court fees drove them further into debt. They also had a fun time explaining their history to the state boards when trying to get licensed. Perhaps almost as stupid, they blew their loan money on unnecessary luxury items like vacations, new cars, iPhones. Don't do that either.

I don't care if people choose optometry as a career or not. I'm not a guidance counselor. What I do care about is if you do decide to pursue it, that you represent yourself and the profession to the highest standards. This is something that, in my opinion, is severely lacking. It has been lacking for quite sometime.

Well said...good advise. I've been practicing for over 20 years and I noticed the same decline.