ADAT and Endo Residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arn8d

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have concrete information about which endo programs will require the ADAT for the 2021 cycle? The ADA posted a list of participating programs but I was told that is not accurate. I am a practicing general dentist that graduated in 2012. I am applying for endo residency programs but the idea of having to go back and study all of the information for the ADAT is daunting.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
UOP/ Washington/ UCLA/ UMKC/ Nebraska/ Rutgers/ NYU and maybe a few more. There is a lot of misinformation about endo and the ADAT, my advice is you do your own research and call the schools or email directors and ask. I know there are also a handful of schools who "prefer" you have an ADAT score but it will not disqualify you from applying if you haven't taken it. I believe Indiana/ Maryland/ OHSU are those schools, again, maybe a few more.

If you plan to apply this upcoming cycle I'd probably advise you to not take the ADAT as you're already behind the 8-ball IMO. Putting together a quality application packet is hard enough. getting letters, writing a personal statement, and having all transcripts from schools in by late may/ early june is a lot of work.

These are my opinions, I hope it helps you.

best.

UOP/ Washington/ UCLA/ UMKC/ Nebraska/ Rutgers/ NYU and maybe a few more. There is a lot of misinformation about endo and the ADAT, my advice is you do your own research and call the schools or email directors and ask. I know there are also a handful of schools who "prefer" you have an ADAT score but it will not disqualify you from applying if you haven't taken it. I believe Indiana/ Maryland/ OHSU are those schools, again, maybe a few more.

If you plan to apply this upcoming cycle I'd probably advise you to not take the ADAT as you're already behind the 8-ball IMO. Putting together a quality application packet is hard enough. getting letters, writing a personal statement, and having all transcripts from schools in by late may/ early june is a lot of work.

These are my opinions, I hope it helps you.

best.

Thank you for the quick response. I think you are right in your recommendation. I think with my 8 years out, studying for the ADAT would be too time consuming. Are you a current resident?

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, here to help. No i'm not a resident but I've gone through the cycle before and have learned a few things. Overall I found it to be more competitive than anticipated, but I'm also a terrible interviewee so my experience is maybe specific to myself. I was listening to a lecture from 2016 and apparently for that year applications for endodontic residencies had risen 30%. No idea what the numbers have been in more recent years but demand seems to be there. You're in a great spot to apply with 8 years of experience. best of luck.

Just fyi, previous reply in this post had mentioned that UOP is requiring the ADAT for the upcoming interview cycle but this is incorrect. It is recommended but not mandatory for this coming cycle.

Does anyone have concrete information about which endo programs will require the ADAT for the 2021 cycle? The ADA posted a list of participating programs but I was told that is not accurate. I am a practicing general dentist that graduated in 2012. I am applying for endo residency programs but the idea of having to go back and study all of the information for the ADAT is daunting.

I posted last years list in this thread: endodontic residency 2021 application
That's probably the best reference until a revised list is published by the ADA. Run through the list and your programs of interest. If a program is listed as accepting the exam, call and ask if they'll require it this year. If they required it last year, they'll probably require it this year. If they did not accept the exam last year, they probably won't jump to requiring it this year (maybe they'll change to accepting the exam though).

Best of luck.