Adcom members: class question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guyski79

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that all prerequisites must be completed by the time you begin your first year of medical school. Not having them complete by that time could cost you your place in the class. Therefore, you should definitely fulfill those credits, although I would highly recommend that you take the classes at your alma mater (or another four year college/university) over the community college. Reason being, I've heard rumors that adcom members frown upon prerequisites taken at community colleges, although I cannot say how much it would "hurt" your application.

Also, make sure you're not confusing "inorganic chemistry" with "general chemistry." The latter is what you need to complete (a full year with labs), although it is often called the former due to the material that is covered. You do not need to take an actual inorganic chemistry course for medical school.

Do I really need to take that lab class? Is it the kind of thing that can keep me out of medical schools?

I agree completely. You must take a full year of Gen Chem with labs. You will not be allowed to matriculate if you don't complete it.

I doubt it will be a problem to take it at a community college.