Got rejected from everywhere last cycle.. adcoms please guide me on what I should do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrinceElvis97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
So this past cycle I applied with a 3.83 cumulative gpa and a 3.77 science gpa. My MCAT was a 514. I had significant extracurricular activities as well and had a lot of clinical and community service experience.

Here is the troubling part....

1.) My first two years were at a community college where i graduated with a 3.81 GPA and I took all of my prerequisites here (OCHEM, PHYSICS, BIO, GEN CHEM)

2.) My final two years were at the University of California, Los Angeles where I had a 3.838 gpa as a Biology major.

I applied to about 20 schools and applied broadly, not top heavy at all. I received only 1 interview from University of Michigan and that was it, silence everywhere else. I called a few schools (MT. SINAI, CORNELL) and they said my ps and extracurriculars were great, but the cc credits with my prereqs being taken there was troubling for them.

Anyways, I definitely want to apply to about 30-35 MD schools next year and I need to find a way to dispel the cc stigma. Obviously I won't take more cc classes but what are my options here... shall I go get a MS (okay with this) or a SMP ( worried about this) or a post-bacc (ughhhh).

@Moko @Catalystik @gonnif @Goro @gyngyn @LizzyM

1.) CORNELL
2.) U. MICHIGAN
3.) ICAHN
4.)UC DAVIS
5.) UC IRVINE
6.) OAKLAND UNIVERSITY
7.) MEDICAL COLLEGE OF WISCONSIN
8.) EASTERN VA
9.) CSU NORTHSTATE
10.) CAL UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND MEDICINE
11.) VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH
12.) UNIVERSITY OF IOWA
13.) NOVA
14.) HOFSTRA
15.) UCLA
16.) USC
17.) MIAMI MILLER
18.) University of Wisconsin
19.) NY MEDICAL COLLEGE
20.) ALBANY COLLEGE

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So, CC is NOT the problem. The fact that you took ALL of the prereqs there is.... I had maybe half of prereqs in CC, and no one cared. But i did take biochemistry in university, and bunch of crazy hard chemistry courses (i was chemistry major), as well as advanced anatomy and physiology, microbiology, and bunch of other more advanced courses.
So the way to fix it is to take more classes in a 4 year institution: take biochemistry (if you havent yet), take biochem 2 (and Ace both of them), and take maybe advanced anatomy and physiology (that is my personal biased opinion as a non traditional student, i am NOT an adcom).

If you have already taken them in your 4 year university, than i doubt the problem was really in a community college credits.... There have to be other problems that you are not aware of...

What schools did you apply to (consider inserting the list)? Also, what exactly are your extracurriculars? List everything. We need to look for holes.

Reactions: 1 users
BTW your MCAT and GPA are great - i see no reason in doing another masters of SMP. We need to figure out what is wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So, CC is NOT the problem. The fact that you took ALL of the prereqs there is.... I had maybe half of prereqs in CC, and no one cared. But i did take biochemistry in university, and bunch of crazy hard chemistry courses (i was chemistry major), as well as advanced anatomy and physiology, microbiology, and bunch of other more advanced courses.
So the way to fix it is to take more classes in a 4 year institution: take biochemistry (if you havent yet), take biochem 2 (and Ace both of them), and take maybe advanced anatomy and physiology (that is my personal biased opinion as a non traditional student, i am NOT an adcom).

If you have already taken them in your 4 year university, than i doubt the problem was really in a community college credits.... There have to be other problems that you are not aware of...

What schools did you apply to (consider inserting the list)? Also, what exactly are your extracurriculars? List everything. We need to look for holes.
Hi! Thanks for your reply.

I was an ecology major at my university. So my first quarter I took Biochemistry and I got a B-, basically I got wrecked that quarter with taking a lot more than I could chew and the switch to a quarter system was crazy!

However besides that all of my upper division classes were evolution or ecology related. So this might be a problem, if they indeed looked super deep even though I aced them all?

Hello all,
So this past cycle I applied with a 3.83 cumulative gpa and a 3.77 science gpa. My MCAT was a 514. I had significant extracurricular activities as well and had a lot of clinical and community service experience.

1.) My first two years were at a community college where i graduated with a 3.81 GPA and I took all of my prerequisites here (OCHEM, PHYSICS, BIO, GEN CHEM)

2.) My final two years were at the University of California, Los Angeles where I had a 3.838 gpa as a Biology major.

I applied to about 15 schools and applied broadly, not top heavy at all. I received only 1 interview from University of Michigan and that was it, silence everywhere else. I called a few schools (MT. SINAI, CORNELL) and they said my ps and extracurriculars were great, but the cc credits with my prereqs being taken there was troubling for them.

Anyways, I definitely want to apply to about 30-35 MD schools next year and I need to find a way to dispel the cc stigma. Obviously I won't take more cc classes but what are my options here... shall I go get a MS (okay with this) or a SMP ( worried about this) or a post-bacc (ughhhh).

I’m not an adcom or even a medical student.

My impression is that evolutionary biology/ecology courses are regarded as less rigorous, and certainly less relevant to medicine, than biochemistry, genetics, cell/molecular biology, developmental biology, etc.

I suggest retaking Biochem I and taking the above courses at a 4 year university even if it means taking additional time.

Reactions: 2 users

School list?
Curious about this too because even though you said you weren't top heavy, the three schools you listed are all top schools

1.) CORNELL
2.) U. MICHIGAN
3.) ICAHN
4.)UC DAVIS
5.) UC IRVINE
6.) OAKLAND UNIVERSITY
8.) EASTERN VA
9.) CSU NORTHSTATE
12.) UNIVERSITY OF IOWA
13.) NOVA
14.) HOFSTRA
15.) UCLA
16.) USC
17.) MIAMI MILLER
19.) NY MEDICAL COLLEGE
20.) ALBANY COLLEGE

1.) CORNELL
2.) U. MICHIGAN
3.) ICAHN
4.)UC DAVIS
5.) UC IRVINE
6.) OAKLAND UNIVERSITY
8.) EASTERN VA
9.) CSU NORTHSTATE
12.) UNIVERSITY OF IOWA
13.) NOVA
14.) HOFSTRA
15.) UCLA
16.) USC
17.) MIAMI MILLER
19.) NY MEDICAL COLLEGE
20.) ALBANY COLLEGE
Don't give Northstate your secondary fees.

Hey GYNGYN this was actually my list last cycle when I applied. I got rejected everywhere, and schools said the problem was that I took all my prereqs at my CC even though I obtained a competitive gpa at my cc and my home institution.

I am just deciding on what to do in my year to escape from the cc stigma. I was an evolutionary biology major so should I spend my year taking rigorous classes at a university such as medical microbiology or can I get a MS or maybe an SMP or maybe a Postbaccalaureate.

Hey GYNGYN this was actually my list last cycle when I applied. I got rejected everywhere, and schools said the problem was that I took all my prereqs at my CC even though I obtained a competitive gpa at my cc and my home institution.

I am just deciding on what to do in my year to escape from the cc stigma. I was an evolutionary biology major so should I spend my year taking rigorous classes at a university such as medical microbiology or can I get a MS or maybe an SMP or maybe a Postbaccalaureate.
CC is not a stigma in CA. If anyone in CA told you this, they are wrong.
You need at least 15 OOS schools where your MCAT is at or above the median (that accept a significant number of OOS applicants).
That said, this is not a strategic list.
I count 4 schools where you had a fair to good chance of an interview. That's not enough.
Is that your only MCAT?

Last edited:

Please, someone with more experience chime in but I really am unconvinced this is entirely from cc stigma considering you should theoretically have two years of upper level bio classes under your belt. The majority of your list looks top tier or is mission focused so your failed cycle very well is likely a result of a poor school list or some aspect of your app like PS or secondaries that were poor.

Consider calling some of the more "match" schools on your list and asking why they rejected you.

Where are you in-state for? CA, or midwest?
I doubt CC was the problem for 20 schools. I think it's problem with your school list/essays. You seem to include midwest public schools with in-state preference.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where are you in-state for? CA, or midwest?
I doubt CC was the problem for 20 schools. I think it's problem with your school list/essays. You seem to include midwest public schools with in-state preference.
I am a CC instate applicant/ resident. However, I have family in the midwest and the eastern states.

CC is not a stigma in CA. If anyone in CA told you this, they are wrong.
You need at least 15 OOS schools where your MCAT is at or above the median (that accept a significant number of OOS applicants).
That said, this is not a strategic list.
I count 4 schools where you had a fair to good chance of an interview. That's not enough.
Is that your only MCAT?
Hi gonnif,

Yes that was my only MCAT. I will apply to many more schools next cycle and much more broadly.

However, I definitely want to address the CC stigma that a few schools (ICAHN among others) have brought up so do you have any advice on what I should do? Here are my options that I can think of...
1.) Sign up for UC BERKELEY EXTENSION and take 3-4 upper level classes such as microbe, anatomy, pharmacology, e.t.c
2.) Get a Masters of Science
3.) Go to a strong linkage SMP
4.) DO an official post-bacc program

At least by doing one of this I want to alleviate SOME concerns that SOME schools may have for taking all my pre-reqs at the CC.

Hi gonnif,

Yes that was my only MCAT. I will apply to many more schools next cycle and much more broadly.

However, I definitely want to address the CC stigma that a few schools (ICAHN among others) have brought up so do you have any advice on what I should do? Here are my options that I can think of...
1.) Sign up for UC BERKELEY EXTENSION and take 3-4 upper level classes such as microbe, anatomy, pharmacology, e.t.c

At least by doing one of this I want to alleviate SOME concerns that SOME schools may have for taking all my pre-reqs at the CC.
If you apply to the right schools, this will not be an issue. Icahn was never the right school.

Hi gonnif,

Your MCAT is below par for schools like Icahn and Cornell. I agree with gyngyn that taking more rigorous coursework will not help you with schools with MCAT ranges in that tier.

Last edited:
If you apply to the right schools, this will not be an issue. Icahn was never the right school.

I'm actually confused as to why OP's school list is bad. It actually seems like a broad list. Their MCAT was at or above median for ~13 out of 20 schools, and 10-25th% for the other schools. Most of the OOS schools on the list are private schools that matriculate significant number of OOS students (and the two public schools in midwest had 30% OOS class).

Would you say it's because OP applied to too few schools, considering they're a CA resident?

I agree. Doesnt seem like a school list. I’d assume it was some red flag on the application or poor secondaries

Hello all,

I applied to about 20 schools and applied broadly, not top heavy at all. I received only 1 interview from University of Michigan and that was it, silence everywhere else. I called a few schools (MT. SINAI, CORNELL) and they said my ps and extracurriculars were great, but the cc credits with my prereqs being taken there was troubling for them.

1.) CORNELL
2.) U. MICHIGAN
3.) ICAHN
4.)UC DAVIS
5.) UC IRVINE
6.) OAKLAND UNIVERSITY
8.) EASTERN VA
9.) CSU NORTHSTATE
12.) UNIVERSITY OF IOWA
13.) NOVA
14.) HOFSTRA
15.) UCLA
16.) USC
17.) MIAMI MILLER
19.) NY MEDICAL COLLEGE
20.) ALBANY COLLEGE
Frankly, I'm surprised that you got the II at U MI. I also suspect tat they were less than truthful with you on the CC course business. According to MAR, they are OK with CC courses in the course competencies. Thus, I suspect that your interview skills may have been an issue, as well as your essays. Weak,but not leath LORs may also have been at play.

On your current list, Cornell and Icahn are donations. An SMP is outright foolish. You just need a good list.

I recommend:

ALL UCs, but UCR ONLY IF you're from the Inland Empire
Mayo (maybe)
Case (maybe)
NYU-LI
USC/Keck
Dartmouth
BU
Pitt
U Cincy
U CO
U VM
OH State
UCF
Miami
St. Louis
Albany
Albert Einstein
Rochester
Rush
Rosy Franklin
NYMC
EVMS
Wake Forest
Jefferson
Creighton
Tulane
Seton Hall
MCW
Loyola
Emory
Hofstra
Tufts
Oakland-B
Western MI
Uniformed Services University/Hebert (just be aware of the military service commitment)
Nova MD
Kaiser IF you're from CA

As this is your second cycle, I recommend adding a few DO schools if you get no love by November. Suggest both Westerns, AZCOM, TUNCOM,. Touro-CA and PacNW. You've already lost a year of clinician salary with a lost cycle.

Did you by any chance say or hint in your application that you’re only interested in oncology?

I'm actually confused as to why OP's school list is bad. It actually seems like a broad list. Their MCAT was at or above median for ~13 out of 20 schools, and 10-25th% for the other schools. Most of the OOS schools on the list are private schools that matriculate significant number of OOS students (and the two public schools in midwest had 30% OOS class).

Would you say it's because OP applied to too few schools, considering they're a CA resident?
CA applicants need 15 OOS schools that might interview them.
I count 6 on OP's list.

Wait why is CSU NS still Looked down upon? First isn’t it an MD school, which should give it preference over all DO schools?

Secondly, haven’t they matched decently last cycle?

The loans don’t particularly concern me.

Wait why is CSU NS still Looked down upon? First isn’t it an MD school, which should give it preference over all DO schools?

It's the fact that they care so little for their students that they fail to provide even this level of financial support.
If they would fail to do even this, imagine how else they are skimping on things that are not so apparent.

Reactions: 1 users

Here's is their 2020 match list. It's equivalent to my school's 2020 results, except we don't send people to ENT. The list is pretty much what you would see from a decent DO program, with maybe more people going into Gen Surg.

Do not be bedazzled by the university-affiliated programs, there is no way to know what is a good program unless you ask people in the field. But a number of sites on the list have taken my grads as well.

I do note a large number of community hospital programs. Take that as you will.