adcom schmoozing.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swim2md

Ni.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you were invited as a new student's guest to a med school orientation event where adcoms and other faculty would be present, would you talk to them about your application? this is at a school where you have high interest in attending and may already know some of the faculty. is there anything you could say without sounding like a complete and total suck-up?

Members don't see this ad.

swim2md said:
if you were invited as a new student's guest to a med school orientation event where adcoms and other faculty would be present, would you talk to them about your application? this is at a school where you have high interest in attending and may already know some of the faculty. is there anything you could say without sounding like a complete and total suck-up?

Very interesting proposition. I have been in this sort of circumstance, sort of, in that I have talked with med school staff during dinners and other events at the school and hospitals near me. Does not hurt to mention that you are applying if someone asks you what you do or what your plans are. Then the it is up to them to ask you more about it. That way you are being casual about it and not looking like your trying to smooze. Several times I had some great conversations about my qualifications and plans for the future, got some great advice too.

Agreed, mention that you're applying if it naturally comes up in conversation and see where it takes you. Don't push it though, they are there to celebrate the arrival of the new students, not to interview prospectives.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr.TobiasFünke said:
Agreed, mention that you're applying if it naturally comes up in conversation and see where it takes you. Don't push it though, they are there to celebrate the arrival of the new students, not to interview prospectives.

Wow, big picture now Tobi. Kinda scary. :thumbup: :laugh:

Certainly talk to them, although not specifically to bring up your application. If it comes up then sure, mention it, but you don't have to discuss it in order to charm them socially, which is what schmoozing is to me.

I was in a similar situation at a research conference I went to. Some directors of programs I was interested in were on the panels. They actually encouraged us to approach them after. However, this was an event geared towards helping research oriented undergrad students pursue advanced degrees. So these directors were there to recruit. The impression I got was that they are always interested to hear from qualified students and to give advice. Just be tactful and don't corner anybody.