ADCOM's can see other acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boomski

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Through secondhand information from a few sources, I've come under the impression that admission committees are able to see what medical schools you've been accepted to during the current cycle. My question is are they also able to see what medical schools you have been waitlisted and rejected from as well? In addition, I know that waitlisted applicants can be ranked/evaluated using how many acceptances they have as one of the factors. With that being the case, do you think the ADCOM would be more attracted to an applicant with multiple acceptances or none at all (Hence they would definitely go to the school)? If the latter were the case, is it advantageous to withdraw ANY pending application (Waitlist/II) from schools that are not considered the ultimate first choice of the applicant.

I have too much free time, thank you in advance.

My impression is that (at least at this point) only the schools where you're accepted already can see your other acceptances. I don't think schools ever get to see where you were waitlisted or rejected.

Going along with this, if you are accepted and subsequently withdraw from a school, is it removed from the list of acceptances?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm feeling a bit paranoid, and I guess this is the place to ask... if you decline an acceptance (instead of accepting and then withdrawing), does that somehow look bad to other schools? I saw a post implying this and wondered if it was the case. I decided to decline an acceptance because I knew I would not attend and I did not feel like paying the $100 fee.

(This may be my most neurotic post yet.)

This is basically my original question. So it seems like it would be wisest to decline any and all acceptances (Except for one) before April if waitlisted at your number one.

I think it would be more effective to emphasize your desire to go to your top choice during the interview and to write a letter of interest (if they accept them) than this strategy. Med schools aren't mind readers, you have to let them know of these things.

Acceptances from a school get noted in the AAMC system; If you formally decline or withdraw an acceptance, the school no longer have you as accepted and that would be reflected in the AAMC system. What I dont know if they see an acceptance and then a decline after April; I do not believe they do.

So if I withdraw my acceptance prior to April 1st and reapply next year, schools I apply next year won't know? I know April 1st a school releases a list of current acceptances, but does that include people that were accepted and withdrew prior to April 1st?

So if I withdraw my acceptance prior to April 1st and reapply next year, schools I apply next year won't know? I know April 1st a school releases a list of current acceptances, but does that include people that were accepted and withdrew prior to April 1st?

Ah, now I am sure that they will see an acceptance and then a decline after April. Schools can/will see you had a previous acceptance that you declined. To do without an absolute utterly earth shattering reason as to why, you will unlikely ever gain acceptance again.

You didn't answer the question.

A student gets accepted in January. Withdraws in February. Does the April master list include people who were accepted and withdrew prior to April 1st?

You didn't answer the question.

A student gets accepted in January. Withdraws in February. Does the April master list include people who were accepted and withdrew prior to April 1st?
Multiple acceptances are available now for the current cycle. Acceptances for candidates on a school's waitlist will be available on April 1. All acceptances ever granted are available on another list: the National Acceptance Report from the AAMC. Withdrawn acceptances from this cycle will disappear from the first two lists not from the third.

Multiple acceptances are available now for the current cycle. Acceptances for candidates on a school's waitlist will be available on April 1. All acceptances ever granted are available on another list: the National Acceptance Report from the AAMC. Withdrawn acceptances from this cycle will disappear from the first two lists not from the third.

:bow:

Post link? I found that the list says "current" acceptance. Not an acceptance ever granted