Can medical schools see what other schools you've been accepted to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unclepeanutz

Reaction score
Can schools you're accepted to see your other acceptances?

Members don't see this ad.

Nope. They can only see, after 5/2, whether or not you have other acceptances, since they can see whether or not you have selected PTE somewhere, but never where.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Its complicated and depends on date.
But I believe at no time does a medical school you are accepted to see the name of any other medical you have acceptance. They just see you have other acceptance(s)

Beginning Feb. 19*, applicants holding one or more acceptance offers can select “Plan to Enroll” in the AMCAS application at any school from which they have received an acceptance offer. Making this selection allows schools to view in aggregate the number of applicants who selected “Plan to Enroll” for their schools.

• Until April 30, applicants can, at the time they make this selection, continue to hold other acceptances, remain on alternate lists, and continue to interview at other schools.
  • If applicants receive new offers, they can update their selection at any time, but they can select only one school at a time.
  • A school will only be able to see the aggregate number of their applicants who have selected that school or another school in the AMCAS tool to assist them with their enrollment management.
  • If an applicant selects “Plan to Enroll” at another school, AMCAS will not identify the applicant or the other school.
Beginning April 30*, accepted applicants will have two options to select: “Plan to Enroll” or “Commit to Enroll.” Selecting “Commit to Enroll” indicates that the applicant has made a final selection and withdrawn all other applications.

• Starting April 30, the AMCAS tool will identify the applicants making either selection. This applicant-specific information will be visible only to schools where the applicant has a current acceptance or alternate-list position.
  • If an applicant selects “Commit to Enroll” to a school, all other schools where the applicant also holds an acceptance or alternate-list offer will be notified but will not know the name of the school selected.
  • Selecting “Commit to Enroll” does not automatically withdraw applications from other medical schools. Applicants must communicate directly with all schools about their final decision according to each school’s specific policy.
*If a date falls on a weekend or holiday, the next business day applies.
Not even, and it's really not complicated at all.

After 5/2, schools where you hold an A or WL can see PTE/CTE elsewhere, as noted in the detail posted above. If for whatever reason a school where you hold an A does not require you to make a PTE/CTE selection in CYMS after 5/2 (believe it or not, several schools have fallen into this category since CYMS became a thing in 2019), that A will be invisible to everyone other than AMCAS, who will not share it with anyone.

So, strictly speaking, schools cannot see other acceptances. They can see a single PTE or CTE selection, assuming one has been made, and, as you stated, not the name of the other school. Period. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Eventually, a school that accepted you may be able to see where you ended up and what other offers you turned down. I saw such a list once, years ago, and I believe that it still exists but is not released until after it is water under the bridge i.e. sometime in October.

Reactions: 2 users
Eventually, a school that accepted you may be able to see where you ended up and what other offers you turned down. I saw such a list once, years ago, and I believe that it still exists but is not released until after it is water under the bridge i.e. sometime in October.
Things have changed. Next October, you'll be able to see where all your applicants matriculated. That's it. All the other goodies are gone under the new system.

i think that the amcas/aamc really tried to limit the info schools get about other schools following the antitrust lawsuit

Well, then the school will eventually know who "won" but not who the (other) losers were in the competition for the top candidates.
Exactly! They are apparently most worried about schools using information about other WLs and As to make admission and fin aid or merit scholarship decisions, so they have blocked access to it. After the fact, if you are not a "winner," what difference does it make who the other "losers" are?

Exactly! They are apparently most worried about schools using information about other WLs and As to make admission and fin aid or merit scholarship decisions, so they have blocked access to it. After the fact, if you are not a "winner," what difference does it make who the other "losers" are?
Data to inform future decisions

Data to inform future decisions
??? Knowing who you lost out to provides that. Knowing where else all of your applicants that didn't choose you applied, and also chose not to attend, is exactly the information AMCAS chose to deny the schools. By the way, the information is really little more than gossip. After doing this for a million years, do you really think @LizzyM doesn't know who her competition is? :cool:

Knowing who the "winner" is is the prize. Schools all know which other schools their applicants apply to, and knowing which ones accepted them and which ones didn't really is none of their business, which is why AMCAS no longer provides it.

In any event, I think access to information is asymmetrical enough as it is. For example, all of your WL schools have an excellent idea what your chances are of getting into each of them. Do you? Wouldn't you like to have that to inform how you are going to approach the next 2 months?

Schadenfreude ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
No, they can't. I was just looking this up and found some good information. Please see the screenshot (AMCAS® FAQs). Here's a link another guide I found helpful for the new rules: AAMC Multiple Acceptance Rules — AdmissionsRx
Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 1.22.33 PM.png

It makes a difference who your peer institutions are when it comes to comparing your programs, costs, and opportunities. It helps shape your marketing messages, and it can give you insights about how desirable your school is compared to the peers. I'm sure this helps determine stewardship of resources and yield.

It should also be mentioned: AACOMAS is a totally different system so we're even more blinded regarding AMCAS vs. AACOMAS offers. I'm not exactly sure how TMDSAS works, but I presume they have their multiple offer/acceptance reporting system given their matching processes but I can only guess.