Adcoms, how much weakness is okay to reveal in a secondary?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What sorts of things even when overcome raise red flags in an application and should not be written about?

Which are weaknesses that are safe to reveal?

Can I say that I was very shy and self conscious during undergrad, and describe how I overcame it and improved myself?

Members don't see this ad.

Self-awareness is a good thing, that was a big theme in my application.

However, I've had a very strange application cycle thus far; I've done very well at my "reach" schools, but outright rejected at most of my "backup" schools. Definitely plays games with your head.

Weaknesses I would avoid. Talking about self improvement, focusing on the good that you have now is a much better approach

Members don't see this ad :)
Loner, control issues, not a team player, not a good time mgr, no evidence of good coping skills

What sorts of things even when overcome raise red flags in an application and should not be written about?

Which are weaknesses that are safe to reveal?

Can I say that I was very shy and self conscious during undergrad, and describe how I overcame it and improved myself?

Loner, control issues, not a team player, not a good time mgr, no evidence of good coping skills

These are things that are okay to reveal if overcome?

My "greatest challenge" had to do with overcoming my aversion to public speaking, and I've received an II from at least one school where I used that essay. I think if compellingly written, it shows self-awareness and the ability to problem-solve, cope, and adapt yourself to be more effective at what you want to do.

However, I've had a very strange application cycle thus far; I've done very well at my "reach" schools, but outright rejected at most of my "backup" schools. Definitely plays games with your head.

That's not strange at all, it's called "yield protection". That's why the Philly triplets rejected you: because they knew you would get accepted at your reach schools. They want to accept students who will actually go there.

On topic: please stop drawing attention to your shy/anxious side. Remember, this is a profession where you will be dealing with people for 80 hours a week. If you talk about how shy and anxious you are for all your secondary essays, adcoms will probably raise the question of whether you are too shy to be a doctor. Talk about some other weakness instead: surely you have more than one.