Adcoms: Were you ever able to tell when a student wrote their own LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedalt

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, can you share details!?
You'd be surprised how often I have seen a Mother use her unmarried name to write a letter for her child.
They have been physicians for the most part. The letter starts off: "I have known Johnny since he was a very young man..."

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 users
You'd be surprised how often I have seen a Mother would use her unmarried name to write a letter for her child.
They have been physicians for the most part. The letter starts off: "I have known Johnny since he was a very young man..."

You would think they'd know better as physicians themselves o_O

Reactions: 1 users
I have learned that parents will sometimes go to extraordinary lengths to give their child an advantage.
What is harder to understand is that the child in these cases decided to designate the parent as a letter writer!

Reactions: 4 users
I feel I have to point out that the typical personality type of a physician is take charge, type A, etc. Add being a parent to that and occasionally common sense goes out the window.

My husband (a lawyer) has offered enthusiastically to write me a LOR more than once, and I’ve had to explain to him how unprofessional and harmful that would be. Bless his heart, he just wants to help.

Reactions: 7 users