addendum to negative final residency eval

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CPT_L31

Physician
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

I left residency in Dec 2017 in lieu of termination. The final evaluation was very negative and has been the major roadblock to returning to residency. I have excellent letters however that hasn't really helped. I was thinking about this the other day and wondering about it. So any guidance would be appreciated, perhaps one of you has done this before.

Would it be possible to get a PD amendment to his original note saying he noted I was taking the right steps or that he rescinds his original comments? I know it would be hard since he hasn't witnessed them, but I'm hoping maybe the evaluations may show it.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

I left residency in Dec 2017 in lieu of termination. The final evaluation was very negative and has been the major roadblock to returning to residency. I have excellent letters however that hasn't really helped. I was thinking about this the other day and wondering about it. So any guidance would be appreciated, perhaps one of you has done this before.

Would it be possible to get a PD amendment to his original note saying he noted I was taking the right steps or that he rescinds his original comments? I know it would be hard since he hasn't witnessed them, but I'm hoping maybe the evaluations may show it.

Thoughts?

You want to ask the same PD who gave you a negative final evaluation for an amendment? What makes you think he'll do it? What did you do?

I don't know but I don't know what else to do. I have worked for three years since leaving residency to try and mend my name but it's still holding me up regarding returning.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know but I don't know what else to do. I have worked for three years since leaving residency to try and mend my name but it's still holding me up regarding returning.

What do you mean you've worked? What have you been doing? What was your original offense? If it was something very egregious, your former PD likely wants nothing to do with you. If it was something soft, like just being late to work a few times, he may be more approachable. In any case, you're certainly welcome to try.

Your only hope to fix this would be legal action (eg a defamation suit) I would think and 3 years later seems a bit late to hold water. Have you tried switching to fm and applying everywhere?

A negative PD letter will halt your application almost everywhere because it indicates you were a big headache and it would be better to just have the spot unfilled than to go with a headache. You might find someone desparate enough to read past that letter and see the good ones and actually decide to give you an interview but that would be a rare exception.

I know it man. I know it. I dont know why good LOR's in a clinical setting wouldn't be reassuring enough. I honestly just need a chance.

You posted more details about your story here: Other - Returning to residency after leaving military

At this point, you're many years out from graduation. I assume you have a full license, so you are able to do some clinical work. Your choices are to try to build a career on the training you have, vs trying to get back into a program. Getting into a program at this point will all be about connections -- you need to find a program in your area (where you'd be competitive) and somehow get them to know you. The best way to do this is to work there, somehow. I realize this is vague advice -- you'll need to be creative. No matter what training you have, you should plan on restarting at PGY-1

Reactions: 1 user