Addiction Psychiatry Board exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if anyone else is taking or has taken this exam. How did you study? I'm scheduled for October and have not started studying yet (hey, I used to be a great crammer). I just discovered that if I pass, that gives me all my CME credit for my 3 year MOC ABPN block, which would be awesome.

Beat the Boards is the only structured thing I see, and it's $1k. Seems high although worth it if I pass. Anybody used this for subspecialty exams?

Members don't see this ad.

I took it 10 years ago and recertified last year with the combined exam (def worth it on your next go, if MOC is still around by then). I think if you can find any question bank or review book that's got a substantial number of addiction questions, you'll be fine. Pretty straightforward stuff. Wouldn't sink a grand into BtB just for this, imo.

Reactions: 1 users
Wondering if anyone else is taking or has taken this exam. How did you study? I'm scheduled for October and have not started studying yet (hey, I used to be a great crammer). I just discovered that if I pass, that gives me all my CME credit for my 3 year MOC ABPN block, which would be awesome.

Where did it mention the 3 year CME credit?

Members don't see this ad :)
Board Vitals has a qbank for Addiction Medicine. I am using this along with the study guide to substance abuse treatment which is the companion to American Psychiatric Publishing textbook of substance abuse treatment 5th edition. (access via psychiatryonline.com ). Also AAAP has review course that you can purchase online. good luck

Reactions: 1 user
I heard that one does not have to do a fellowship to get certified in addiction medicine. Is certification in addiction medicine the same as someone who does the addiction fellowship and takes the Addiction Boards?

I heard that one does not have to do a fellowship to get certified in addiction medicine. Is certification in addiction medicine the same as someone who does the addiction fellowship and takes the Addiction Boards?

I think you may be talking about addiction medicine vs addiction psychiatry. The former is a medical subspecialty that will soon offer a certification, which physicians will be able to grandfather into without doing a fellowship. Addiction psychiatry is under ABPN.

http://www.asam.org/magazine/read/a...ine-is-recognized-as-new-medical-subspecialty

Beat the Boards is the only structured thing I see, and it's $1k. Seems high although worth it if I pass. Anybody used this for subspecialty exams?

Well I sunk the $$$$ for beat the boards, I study best with questions and used this with the gen psych boards.
Lectures are OK, seems like there is some overlap from the AAAP review booklet that a coworker let me borrow. Not a lot of questions like the general boards- I wish they had more questions. Gonna take it this week.

I think you may be talking about addiction medicine vs addiction psychiatry. The former is a medical subspecialty that will soon offer a certification, which physicians will be able to grandfather into without doing a fellowship. Addiction psychiatry is under ABPN.

http://www.asam.org/magazine/read/a...ine-is-recognized-as-new-medical-subspecialty
Right, this.

Carlos, if you're still a student, the practice pathway for addiction med likely won't still be around by the time you'd be eligible to sit for the cert test. Grandfathering is geared toward current attending physicians who already do a significant amount of addiction work in their practice and want to sit for the exam to get BC. So as a current trainee, you will need to either do an addiction psych fellowship (if you're coming from psych) or an addiction med fellowship (if coming from another specialty besides psych).