Adding LORs after Letters Packet collected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hamber_Gorl

Reaction score
I just started shadowing a physician and my school's letter service deadline is approaching. I don't want to ask this physician for a letter until after he's gotten to know me so he can write a more descriptive letter.

Will it look weird to schools that I have 3 LORs submitted via Letters Packet and 1 submitted individually?

Members don't see this ad.

No, lots of my students do this.

But I’d question the value of a letter from a physician you’ve just shadowed unless it’s a DO and you’re applying to DO programs.

Reactions: 1 user
No, lots of my students do this.

But I’d question the value of a letter from a physician you’ve just shadowed unless it’s a DO and you’re applying to DO programs.
Yeah definitely. He's not a DO... I listed the shadowing on AMCAS as a "future activity" so that I could get my primary in to be verified asap. His office had a lot of admin protocols that delayed the date that I was allowed to start shadowing so I wanted the letter to "prove" to adcoms that I actually got the shadowing experience and that it didn't fall through.

That seems like a waste of a letter to me- they have the contact info if they want to verify it.

I don’t think anyone will have a problem with it, but I don’t think it will add anything to your application.

Reactions: 1 users