Adding more schools to AMCAS after an interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jcshen97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
WARS: low 90's. Reapplicant
I applied to about 25 schools, and the first two schools that have responded to me have invited me for interview. However, my neurotic side of me had me mulling about the possibility of not getting any more II's after these two. What do you guys think if, after I attend one of my interviews, I add schools to my AMCAS, send them out, and fill out their secondaries? Would my interviewed schools get this updated list of schools, and what would they think of me? I don't want to put myself in a position where I don't get any interviews before early/mid October.

Members don't see this ad.

WARS: low 90's. Reapplicant
I applied to about 25 schools, and the first two schools that have responded to me have invited me for interview. However, my neurotic side of me had me mulling about the possibility of not getting any more II's after these two. What do you guys think if, after I attend one of my interviews, I add schools to my AMCAS, send them out, and fill out their secondaries? Would my interviewed schools get this updated list of schools, and what would they think of me? I don't want to put myself in a position where I don't get any interviews before early/mid October.
My thoughts:
- It's still early. Interview invites have not peaked yet
- You will most likely get more interview invites over the next couple months.
- There are diminishing returns with each additional school you apply to. In most cases, someone who applied to 25 schools and came out empty probably would have had the same result with 30 schools too..
- Is your current school list unbalanced? If so, it would be wise to apply to more schools. If not, you're likely just treating your own anxiety by signing up for more busywork.
- Schools do not know where you applied to unless you tell them (though we eventually can infer based on where an applicant has other acceptances)
- Why were you unsuccessful during your first cycle? Has enough been done to correct those issues?
- Rather than applying to more schools, consider strengthening your CV so you can write a meaningful update in November to the schools that you have not heard from yet. No one will be impressed by an update that simply says they were filling out secondaries for the past few months.

Reactions: 2 users