Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

MD & DO Adding some extra schools

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by bshap000, Aug 18, 2015.

1. bshap000

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Hi all,

I just got a rejection (post-secondary) from KCUMB (due to sGPA), and I am considering adding some more, less competitive DO (or MD if there are any) schools.

Stats:
    White male ORM
    NY resident
    cUGPA: 3.36
    sUGPA: 3.21(AACOMAS), 3.23(AMCAS)
    MCAT: 33(9PS,10VR,14BS)

I have a good amount of volunteering (300+hrs), many years of clinical research plus presentations, lots of shadowing, and I believe strong LORs. For reference, I made it through VCU's holistic secondary screen so there can't be anything too lethal in my app I don't think.

School Lists:
    MD:

Albany Med
    Drexel
    EVMS
    GW
    Hofstra
    NYMC
    Penn State Hershey
    Quinnipiac (Netter)
    RFUMS
    Rush
    SUNY Upstate
    SUNY Buffalo
    SUNY Stony Brook
    TCMC
    U Vermont
    USC Greenville
    VCU
    Western Michigan

DO:
    PCOM
    CCOM
    LECOM-E
    KCUMB - Reject
    Touro NV
    ATSU-SOMA
    NYITCOM

As of now, I have that 1 rejection, hold for re-review at GW, U Vermont is in prelim screening, VCU is in File Review, and Western Mi. is in review. No interviews yet and no other movement.

I was planning on adding 2-3 more DO schools, such as ACOM, BCOM, etc. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I'd be more competitive, and what I should add? I am also considering applying to the Sackler NY program in Israel, is this a good option?

I'd especially appreciate input from @Goro and @WedgeDawg etc

Thanks in advance!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    If those are your AACOMAS GPAs, then your AMCAS GPAs have to be lower. Even as is, they're circling the drain for MD schools. Some of the schools you applied to have high IS bias, so they'll appreciate the donation you made in your app fees.

I suggest the following:
    LMU
    all three VCOMs
    UNECOM
    PCOM (both)
    AZCOM
    All Touros
    MUCOM
    DMU
    CUSOM
    ATStill
    SOMA
    Western (both)
    LECOM-B

WedgeDawg likes this.
  3. bshap000

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Oddly enough, the BCPM AMCAS calculated is slightly higher than AACOMAS (AMCAS is 3.23, AACOMAS is 3.21), and both AMCAS and AACOMAS show 3.36 overall on the verified apps.

Regardless, thanks for the input. UNECOM is out though as they won't accept any AP credit for prereq science courses. Any thoughts as to which on that list I have the best shots at?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Goro

Faculty 7+ Year Member

Non-Student
    You're competitive at all of them. AZCOM, the Touros and CCOM all really like high MCATs.

WedgeDawg likes this.
  5. bshap000

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Great, since obviously thats the strongest part of my app.

Thanks for the help!

6. Faha

Physician 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    For MD you could add Oakland Beaumont, Creighton and Tulane. Also apply to the new CUNY medical school (when possible) as their first matriculating class will be in 2016.

7. bshap000

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Thanks! I'll look into those! However it looks like for the 2016 entering class CUNY is only taking people from the Sophie Davis program. As of now there's no application process for outsiders.

8. WedgeDawg

WedgeDawg not actually a dog
    Moderator Verified Expert 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You're not in great shape for MD (as I'm sure you know) mostly due to your very low GPAs, but you've got a solid shot at DO, particularly with your MCAT. Goro gave you some great advice, so I would start with that. Sorry I can't offer anything more, but I'm not familiar enough with DO schools to feel comfortable giving too much advice about them.