MD & DO Adding some extra schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bshap000

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I just got a rejection (post-secondary) from KCUMB (due to sGPA), and I am considering adding some more, less competitive DO (or MD if there are any) schools.

Stats:
White male ORM
NY resident
cUGPA: 3.36
sUGPA: 3.21(AACOMAS), 3.23(AMCAS)
MCAT: 33(9PS,10VR,14BS)

I have a good amount of volunteering (300+hrs), many years of clinical research plus presentations, lots of shadowing, and I believe strong LORs. For reference, I made it through VCU's holistic secondary screen so there can't be anything too lethal in my app I don't think.

School Lists:
MD:

Albany Med
Drexel
EVMS
GW
Hofstra
NYMC
Penn State Hershey
Quinnipiac (Netter)
RFUMS
Rush
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Stony Brook
TCMC
U Vermont
USC Greenville
VCU
Western Michigan

DO:
PCOM
CCOM
LECOM-E
KCUMB - Reject
Touro NV
ATSU-SOMA
NYITCOM

As of now, I have that 1 rejection, hold for re-review at GW, U Vermont is in prelim screening, VCU is in File Review, and Western Mi. is in review. No interviews yet and no other movement.

I was planning on adding 2-3 more DO schools, such as ACOM, BCOM, etc. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I'd be more competitive, and what I should add? I am also considering applying to the Sackler NY program in Israel, is this a good option?

I'd especially appreciate input from @Goro and @WedgeDawg etc

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

If those are your AACOMAS GPAs, then your AMCAS GPAs have to be lower. Even as is, they're circling the drain for MD schools. Some of the schools you applied to have high IS bias, so they'll appreciate the donation you made in your app fees.

I suggest the following:
LMU
all three VCOMs
UNECOM
PCOM (both)
AZCOM
All Touros
MUCOM
DMU
CUSOM
ATStill
SOMA
Western (both)
LECOM-B

Hi all,

I just got a rejection (post-secondary) from KCUMB (due to sGPA), and I am considering adding some more, less competitive DO (or MD if there are any) schools.

Stats:
White male ORM
NY resident
cUGPA: 3.36
sUGPA: 3.21(AACOMAS), 3.23(AMCAS)
MCAT: 33(9PS,10VR,14BS)

I have a good amount of volunteering (300+hrs), many years of clinical research plus presentations, lots of shadowing, and I believe strong LORs. For reference, I made it through VCU's holistic secondary screen so there can't be anything too lethal in my app I don't think.

School Lists:
MD:

Albany Med
Drexel
EVMS
GW
Hofstra
NYMC
Penn State Hershey
Quinnipiac (Netter)
RFUMS
Rush
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Buffalo
SUNY Stony Brook
TCMC
U Vermont
USC Greenville
VCU
Western Michigan

DO:
PCOM
CCOM
LECOM-E
KCUMB - Reject
Touro NV
ATSU-SOMA
NYITCOM

As of now, I have that 1 rejection, hold for re-review at GW, U Vermont is in prelim screening, VCU is in File Review, and Western Mi. is in review. No interviews yet and no other movement.

I was planning on adding 2-3 more DO schools, such as ACOM, BCOM, etc. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I'd be more competitive, and what I should add? I am also considering applying to the Sackler NY program in Israel, is this a good option?

I'd especially appreciate input from @Goro and @WedgeDawg etc

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: 1 user
If those are your AACOMAS GPAs, then your AMCAS GPAs have to be lower. Even as is, they're circling the drain for MD schools. Some of the schools you applied to have high IS bias, so they'll appreciate the donation you made in your app fees.

I suggest the following:
LMU
all three VCOMs
UNECOM
PCOM (both)
AZCOM
All Touros
MUCOM
DMU
CUSOM
ATStill
SOMA
Western (both)
LECOM-B

Oddly enough, the BCPM AMCAS calculated is slightly higher than AACOMAS (AMCAS is 3.23, AACOMAS is 3.21), and both AMCAS and AACOMAS show 3.36 overall on the verified apps.

Regardless, thanks for the input. UNECOM is out though as they won't accept any AP credit for prereq science courses. Any thoughts as to which on that list I have the best shots at?

Members don't see this ad :)
You're competitive at all of them. AZCOM, the Touros and CCOM all really like high MCATs.

Great, since obviously thats the strongest part of my app.

Thanks for the help!

For MD you could add Oakland Beaumont, Creighton and Tulane. Also apply to the new CUNY medical school (when possible) as their first matriculating class will be in 2016.

For MD you could add Oakland Beaumont, Creighton and Tulane. Also apply to the new CUNY medical school (when possible) as their first matriculating class will be in 2016.

Thanks! I'll look into those! However it looks like for the 2016 entering class CUNY is only taking people from the Sophie Davis program. As of now there's no application process for outsiders.

You're not in great shape for MD (as I'm sure you know) mostly due to your very low GPAs, but you've got a solid shot at DO, particularly with your MCAT. Goro gave you some great advice, so I would start with that. Sorry I can't offer anything more, but I'm not familiar enough with DO schools to feel comfortable giving too much advice about them.