Hemichordate

Peds
10+ Year Member
May 5, 2008
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
When you have an addition reaction (i.e. addition of Br2 to 2-pentene), do you always get enantiomers as products?

I know that first the bromonium ion forms with the first Br-, and the second Br- ion then attacks either of the two carbons. You would get two products, depending on where the ion attacks, but would those products always have opposite absolute configurations at the two chiral carbons?

G1SG2

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2008
Status
  1. Pre-Medical
When you have an addition reaction (i.e. addition of Br2 to 2-pentene), do you always get enantiomers as products?

I know that first the bromonium ion forms with the first Br-, and the second Br- ion then attacks either of the two carbons. You would get two products, depending on where the ion attacks, but would those products always have opposite absolute configurations at the two chiral carbons?

Yes, you get enantiomers.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads