Additional Courses Beyond PreReqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

An Yong

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Its time for me to register for classes at my school. I currently have the opportunity to use some of my saved elective spots to take on additional courses beyond the pre-req's to help me on the MCATS. Could anyone recommend the top 2-4 (listed from highest priority to lowest priority) that would be useful for the MCATS?

My current list is as follows:

Physiology
Biochem
Genetics (maybe I can learn this on my own, but I heard there
will be more genetics questions for now on?)

Thank You!!

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by An Yong
Hi,

Its time for me to register for classes at my school. I currently have the opportunity to use some of my saved elective spots to take on additional courses beyond the pre-req's to help me on the MCATS. Could anyone recommend the top 2-4 (listed from highest priority to lowest priority) that would be useful for the MCATS?

My current list is as follows:

Physiology
Biochem
Genetics (maybe I can learn this on my own, but I heard there
will be more genetics questions for now on?)

Thank You!!

Are you taking the above classes at the same time? That will be a load, especially if you are adding more classes.

My two cents... Physiology is the number one course you will need on the MCAT. Without it I would have been lost. I didn't take Biochem at all, and no one in my immediate circle of pre-meds took it before the MCAT so I don't know how much it can help you. I did take genetics before and I had 1 genetics question on my MCAT. But you are right, they are adding more on the 2003 MCAT, so there will be more questions on genetics and DNA.

Have you taken Cell/Molecular Biology? That class should be a required course as well in my opinion.

Hope this answered your question. I wasn't sure if you were asking us to rate the classes you picked or if you were asking for other class suggestions.

I think Genetics will be a tremendous help. My genetics prof last year told me that they are replacing two or three organic questions will genetics questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is a joke, it is so hard to predict.. your post isnt a joke just the fact taht the mcat is so braod. I knew physiology like hte bakc of my hand, i had studied it alot and it helped a TON on pracitce tets and i did very well. The real thing.. NO physiology whatsover.. maybe a couple random questions that is it. so its hard to tell but img glad i had hte knowledge in case and often tiems there is alot on it so i would say
1. Physiology
2. Biochem-this will help with the ochem section and all dna questions etc..
3.genetics

i would do physiology and biochem but make sure u have tiem to study formcat!

Thanks for the responses!

Yes, my post was a bit ambigious =P I am sorry, what I meant is that if you recommend more than one course, can you indicate which is the more useful?

Actually, I have already had cell biology, our school does not have a "General Biology 2" course, instead they just make pre-meds take cell-biology. Strange? Yes, I thought so too =)

Thanks again for the great responses! I am definately going to include physiology!

I would consider taking a liberal arts class that will require you to do read "heavy" non science material. Or just do some reading on your own. I had physiology but neither biochem or genetics when i took the mcat and I didn't feel I was underprepared.

I didn't take any of the classes on your list and still managed to get a 13. I really don't think upper level classes will help all that much because the MCAT tests general bio and orgo.

Good luck (I would take biochem just because it is a required course for some schools.)

you should also look at the schools that you were planning to apply to and see if they have any additional prereqs, such as biochem or molec. bio - not all are simply 1 yr Bio, 1 yr Gchem, 1 yr Ochem, 1 yr Physics.

You should flirt with the idea of taking the P Chem series. It was great and helped me a lot on the MCAT.:) :laugh: :)

At my college, there was no general biology (until this past year) and all of the pre-meds took the biochem/cell biology year instead. I had no physiology, no genetics, and I did alright on the Bio section. I think that Biochem is a great class, pending how your school teaches it. Physiology is also very important. But genetics is the one that everyone keeps talking about them adding to the MCAT along with microbiology. So any/all of the above are very useful. You can't go wrong with any of them. Pick whichever is best taught at your school.
As for other classes, take Complex Analysis! It's fun to spend a semester talking about complex numbers which you'll never see again.
Ha