Additional Training after Pharmacy School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emory25

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I feel that I could be more effective as a clinical pharmacist if I were to attend PA school after finishing my pharmacy education. I have no desire to become a physician, however, I feel that a medical education (albeit PA school) could only enhance my knowledge of medicine while practicing as both a pharmacist and physician assistant.

Some of my classmates believe it's a waste of time and I am, sometimes, reluctant to share my career goals with them. I would like to know what others out there think. :)

Members don't see this ad.

You know what life is a choice and choices we make, open us the path of success. That choice you make can make you successful and you should believe in it. I'm also doing a master degree after I graduate from Pharmacy. I will be doing a Master of Science in clinical research because I want to get into clinical research.

I feel that I could be more effective as a clinical pharmacist if I were to attend PA school after finishing my pharmacy education. I have no desire to become a physician, however, I feel that a medical education (albeit PA school) could only enhance my knowledge of medicine while practicing as both a pharmacist and physician assistant.

Some of my classmates believe it's a waste of time and I am, sometimes, reluctant to share my career goals with them. I would like to know what others out there think. :)

I think you should finish pharmacy school first and if you still think you can handle more school you should go for it. I don't think you should let others discourage you.

Members don't see this ad :)

I agree with the previous post. It's probably best to wait until you are in your last year before deciding on more education or not. You may want to read this thread also. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=182397 Well, up until the handcuff part anyway. Several schools offer the PharmD/MPA program. Have you thought about enrolling in one of those places if you haven't started school yet?

You don't need an additional degree to be a better pharmacist. Make the most of what you have right now. Learn what you can and focus on your ultimate goal of being a good pharmacist. You won't need a billion years of school for that.

really its great thing to attend lectures in clinical pharmacy & diagnosis ireally like it & iwill do it in summer god welling...............................egypsiano

ZAGAZIG UNIVERSITY

I like more clinical training, but think about it (this was a response from a professor when asked about a post pharm PA program): "We are trying to advance our profession and you want to be an assistant to a physician?" Sadly, it actually is true (at least in my opinion)

I agree with you on that Emory. That was an aspiration of mine because I saw the duality of the two professions as a plus for a practicing pharmacist or if u decided to become a practicing PA. I am still reluctant because even with your knowledge of pharmacy and your education as a PA, you still cannot prescribe medications, which presents a problem, since even PA's must be supervised by a Physician. I learned that Physicians can limit the authority given to their PA by Federal and State laws, but cannot extend extra 'liberties'. It was all just a real turn off for me- but shoot for it if that's what you believe in. Maybe shortly in the future the two professions will combine anyway (farfetched). As far as the whole M.D. and Pharm.D. thing is concerned I've always believed that Pharmacy should be a subspecialty of medicine. Pharmacists should carry the title M.D., but just like M.D's go on rotation to determine a specialty and become dermatologists, gynecologists, etc... Pharmacy should be a specialty of medicine.. dentistry as well. Combine all the doctoral health professions under one title is what I say. (Yes, I realize this is off topic) :0)