Addressing a failed post-bacc class in personal statements?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

catiekat

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm currently working on clinical psych PhD applications. After my undergrad degree in health psych, I spent a couple years preparing to apply for Physician Assistant programs before I redirected to psych. During this time, I took and failed an online microbiology course. I'm torn on addressing this issue in my personal statement. Leaning towards not including it since it is unrelated to psych and a deviation from my strong academic performance in the second half of undergrad. I'm curious to hear this community's perspective. A few relevant factors:

- I am applying to a few neuropsych programs, but my academic neuroscience experience is limited (two years of clinical work though). In my statement, I refer my success in several undergraduate biology courses as proof of my capacity to excel in graduate neuroscience courses. I earned As and A-s in all seven bio classes I have taken besides that darned microbio course.
- My overall GPA is decent - 3.5. My psych GPA is great - 3.9.
- My performance in my first and second years of college were pretty rocky. Though I earned several As in tough classes, I also earned a couple Fs in easy, single credit courses and some B-s and Cs in history and chemistry/math courses that just did not interest me (thx undiagnosed ADHD).

What do you all think?
 
Last edited: