Addressing grade fluctuations on secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hs764

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Regarding the question that a lot of secondaries have that says something along the lines of "if there's any additional information that you would like us to know, please write about it here" - I know this is where a lot of people will write about any dips or fluctuations in their GPA. Would such a fluctuation need to be sufficiently bad to be mentioned? I just finished a 3 year premed program where for both my first and third year I was making mostly As and A-s, but my second year I made mostly Bs. I know that is not terribly bad, but I was going through some personal stuff that year and was a little bit depressed, and I know that I could have and probably should have done better. Is that worth mentioning, or is it just going to look like I am fishing for stuff to say?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
There seems to be a need among some people to have to explain every blemish, but unless you're specifically asked about it, why bother bringing attention to a negative?????

The only exception to this would be an explanation due to life issues or illness.

Going from As to Bs will likely make a screener question your judgment as to why something so trivial needs to be explained.

Reactions: 1 user