ADH --> Negative Feedback Question (EK)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

axp107

UCLA>> Italian Pryde
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Maybe its just the wording of the question.. but check this out:

1) If ADH holds water in the body decreasing urine output and increasing blood pressure does a person with high blood pressure have a high or low ADH level?

I though "DOES" implies present tense.. so I said high ADH. You would expect a person with high bp to have high ADH.. seemed logical

BUT, you're supposed to view this question as a correction mechanism..
that the bp is already high.. what must be done to lower it?? wtf?

Is it just me or is the grammar in the question realllly reallly ambiguous?

If the question asked "How would ADH levels respond to the high bp" I would have gotten it right.

Members don't see this ad.

The way ADH works is by respond to blood pressure. A person with a low BP will result in an increase in ADH in order to restore the normal BP... But if someone has a high BP then their ADH level will be very low.

ADH secretion is responding/controled by blood pressure. Not the otherway around. Meaning that low BP cause ADH secretion. but ADH secretion does not cause HIGH BP!!!!!

zackscoot is absolutely right .. I think of negative feedback as working like a thermostat does .. If the room gets too cold, the sensor triggers a heater. But the heater won't always be on, even though it heats the room (so the heater increases temperature much like ADH increases BP, but neither are always "on")

Members don't see this ad :)
This topic used to confuse me... Then I was hipped to a very easy way to think about it : Your body uses hormones to RESPOND to a non-baseline condition... ie your body would not increase ADH thereby increasing its blood pressure (why would it do that? it would be harming itself) Anytime you have an "elevated _______" or "decreased _______" your body is going to release the necessary hormones to bring itself back to normal.
As long as you think about it this way, you should have no problems answering feedback questions

This topic used to confuse me... Then I was hipped to a very easy way to think about it : Your body uses hormones to RESPOND to a non-baseline condition... ie your body would not increase ADH thereby increasing its blood pressure (why would it do that? it would be harming itself) Anytime you have an "elevated _______" or "decreased _______" your body is going to release the necessary hormones to bring itself back to normal.
As long as you think about it this way, you should have no problems answering feedback questions

Oh.. good point.. stupid me.. thanks