ADHD medication management

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Madden007

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
looking to sharpen my ADHD med management. I am looking for a book to help me out. The ideal book will be mostly clinical cases/vignettes/questions with detail answers to sharpen my ADHD medication management.
Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

No specific text in mind, but find whatever you can and dig into the details of psychostimulant pharmacology. Know the stereoisomerism and the release mechanisms and their, "pattern", of release for the stimulants. You really only have 3 stimulants based on chemical category (methylphenidates, amphetamines, methamphetamine) but tons of options based on stereoisomerism (dexmethylphenidate vs methylphenidate) and release mechanisms (sustained release, delayed release). Know the ratio of IR to DR/SR for them.

Understand how they really work and it makes things a whole lot easier, as the things patients will complain about will actually make sense. For example, it makes sense that some patients don't report any appreciable therapeutic benefit from concerta up to 2 hours after taking it -- roughly 1/4 the dose is IR and the remainder is a weird sort of SR, which can also cause residual effects later into the day. Ritalin LA is a biphasic 50/50 release which is essentially the same as taking Ritalin BID at half the total LA dose each time.