Adivce for me please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chiccaboom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I know many people have posted similar questions like mine, but I wanted to get some advice based on purely my experience and what you all think!

Typical story-really ****ty cGPA, except perhaps last year. Decided to pursue masters in public health abroad (currently MPH student at the University of Melbourne and loving it!). Maybe it's because I am surrounded my med students and already established doctors in my course, but I am having the urge to try for med school. I'm 25 and am realistic in that I know it's going to be a long haul if I actually commit to this (just trying to get in that is).

I wanted to know what my next steps should be? I basically got B's and C's in most of the science prereq courses for med school in my undergrad. Would you all say that going back to undergrad and retaking these courses is my next step? I understand that Master's coursework marks are rarely considered for med school and if anything only add a slight advantage to the application process. Basically, I want to know what my next steps should be considering my background and what I am doing currently.

Thank you all for your feedback. This is an amazing site, I have been perusing it for years (I suppose I was always toying with the idea of med!).

Members don't see this ad.

Some quick math, with some basic distinctions:

1. First, MD schools don't have grade acceptance. If you "replace" one of your classes in which you earned a C with an A, you will have a "net 3.0" for that class, not a 4.0. This is different for D.O. schools.
  2. If you have a cGPA of 3.0 now, then 60 more credits (18 months - 2 years) of undergrad with a 4.0 in every class brings your cGPA to 3.25. So, definitely consider the D.O. route.
  3. Make sure this is actually what you want to do. Shadow some Docs and discuss your ideas with your support system (although you sound fairly independent).

Some quick math, with some basic distinctions:

1. First, MD schools don't have grade acceptance. If you "replace" one of your classes in which you earned a C with an A, you will have a "net 3.0" for that class, not a 4.0. This is different for D.O. schools.
  2. If you have a cGPA of 3.0 now, then 60 more credits (18 months - 2 years) of undergrad with a 4.0 in every class brings your cGPA to 3.25. So, definitely consider the D.O. route.
  3. Make sure this is actually what you want to do. Shadow some Docs and discuss your ideas with your support system (although you sound fairly independent).

Sorry, what do you mean by D.O.?

Also, are you both referring to schools in the U.S. or other? I am looking into schools primarily in Canada. Just want to know so I can get a general idea about where you are talking about.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, what do you mean by D.O.?

Also, are you both referring to schools in the U.S. or other? I am looking into schools primarily in Canada. Just want to know so I can get a general idea about where you are talking about.

There is an SDN-like website that is Canadian-specific; I would try your question there.

Why does being in a classroom with current and past medical students make you want to practice medicine? I don't understand your motivation from you OP, and I don't think you could prove to me that you actually understand what the job entails based on some inference that you haven't done any clinical work/volunteering/shadowing to flesh out what you think you might have the urge to do.

Whoops, my jingoism led me to the assumption that you were 'merican. My apologies. U.S. medical schools can grant one of two degrees, an M.D. or a D.O. They calculate cGPAs differently. I'd try Pons' advice. I know there's a "Canada" page at http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=89 ; they may be able to clarify GPA calculations there (in order to determine if it's worth it).

It's funny how quick people make inferences about someone from a simple post. You actually don't know anything about my background from my post. How do you know I haven't done any volunteer work, shadowing and the like. Just because I haven't mentioned it in my post doesn't mean I haven't done it. In fact, I have volunteered at numerous organizations and hospitals, and I did shadow a doctor(s). I've volunteered internationally and I've published a paper. And really in the end I don't have to "prove" anything to you, but it is nice to "prove" you wrong.

It's funny how quick people make inferences about someone from a simple post. You actually don't know anything about my background from my post. How do you know I haven't done any volunteer work, shadowing and the like. Just because I haven't mentioned it in my post doesn't mean I haven't done it. In fact, I have volunteered at numerous organizations and hospitals, and I did shadow a doctor(s). I've volunteered internationally and I've published a paper. And really in the end I don't have to "prove" anything to you, but it is nice to "prove" you wrong.

Did you want to provide any updates on what you decided to do over the past few months since you posted? Any new decisions you've made? :)