Adjuncting

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rivi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Does anyone adjunct on the side for a bit of extra $$$? Has anyone considered this? It seems like the payout compared to the amount of time that you put in may not make it worth it, but I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello everyone,

Does anyone adjunct on the side for a bit of extra $$$? Has anyone considered this? It seems like the payout compared to the amount of time that you put in may not make it worth it, but I am curious to hear everyone's thoughts on this.

Yes, but it's not for the money. Typically its a crap labor to monetary payoff ratio. Seriously around here it can be as like equivalent of 13-15 per hour once you add in all the prep, grading, emails, etc

Reactions: 1 user
The folks I know who do it do so, as erg mentioned, more for the experience of teaching than the money. Some do it for the latter as well, though, particularly if they pick up winter/early summer accelerated terms (many of these folks are in academia and use it as a way to bolster their income when they aren't otherwise teaching).

If it's a class you've already got ready to go, most of the work is going to be on the grading side of things, which means it could be quite manageable. If it's something you'd need to create from scratch or significantly revise, then it'd be a much bigger time "sink." The first time I taught, for example, I probably prepped 3 hours for every 1 hour of lecture time.

I do it for the love of teaching. It also helps me keep emotionally balanced. Patients can be draining at times and interacting with college students who are hungry to learn can give me energy. Oh and during post-doc, the money helped out quite a bit cause I wasn't making that much in my salaried job.