All Branch Topic (ABT) Admin time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Perrotfish

Has an MD in Horribleness
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious, how much admin time are you guys getting, if any? Do you get an admin half day just for working with the military? Admin time for committee membership? Committee leadership? For positions in the hospital?

I have been told that the amount we get at my command has decreased significantly in the last few years. We now get basically no admin time. I'd like know what the current average is.

Members don't see this ad.

All of Friday is admin time in my office, with another admin day of our choosing. Two full days. Unfortunately, I need that much to submit flight physicals, attend SHARP training, go fly, etc. Fortunately, I use that time to go to the gym, keep up with reading, train the medics. This makes me realize how cushy my job is, maybe I should complain less.

At my last duty station, I got literally no admin time during business hours. All of my clinic-admin responsibilities and all of the voluntold hospital positions were after hours unless it was more convenient for the civilian employees with whom I had to deal to do things during business hours, and then I would have to cancel my clinic time.

At my current duty station, I sometimes feel like I have a day of admin/week.

At least in the Army, it seems like admin time is directly proportional to the size of the facility to which you are stationed. Small hospitals get none, big facilities get a lot.

Members don't see this ad :)
It varies by location and specialty.

For our dept, the only people who have admin time built into the FTE expectations are our dept chair and residency program director.

A handful of others have semi-regularly scheduled admin days. Most do not.

Reactions: 1 user
It's really a moot point, because whether you're allotted admin time or not, the admin work always exceeds the time you have for it.

Reactions: 1 users
Admin time is few and far between. On call days I get all my admin stuff done. Our department head and the school house folks are the ones with admin time. I'm sure if I asked I could get it but I would rather be in the OR. Or not taking from folks leave.