Admission Chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarcellaC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Psych Degree
Minority, Caribbean Female
GPA: 3.7
Science GPA: 3.6
MCAT: 33
Shadowing: 120+ hours
Mentoring/ Volunteering:150+ Hours
Hospital Volunteering: 50+ Hours
No Research
No Clubs
Sorry, I know it's a wrong thread.
What are my chances of getting in?
Without taking consideration letters of recommendation and interviews?
I hope I edited it appropriately

Florida International University
Florida State University
University of Florida
University of Central Florida
University of Miami
University of South Florida
Morehouse School of Medicine
Meharry Medical College
Hofstra School of Medicine
Loyola University
Tulane University
Temple University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Might be best to post this in the What Are My Chances section, since that is the purpose of that thread :)

What is your school list though? And is this for 2017 cycle? Or did you already apply this round?

Members don't see this ad :)
There is a forum for this kind of thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/what-are-my-chances.418/

The first question is, "What minority?" Assuming that you African American...

The last two years, there were 44 applicants with those stats, 41 of them were accepted to medical school (93%), funny story... there were 123 with a 30-32 on the MCAT and 117 were accepted (95%). So, regardless of whatever else is on your application, you are sitting in a pretty good spot assuming you apply broadly.

Reactions: 3 users
ECU only accepts NC residents, so you'll need to scratch this one if your a FL resident

Disclaimer: Im not in med school yet, I just applied to most of these schools and researched them a ton

Good numbers especially if your African American or hispanic, you'll def have success if you write a good app. Just FYI, but FIU and Tulane are pretty mission driven and will expect you to be able to explain why you are committed to the cities they serve, and to have spent a good amount of time volunteering with underserved populations. USF and UCF really seek out people with strong leadership experience. UF and UM are research heavy. Also UM and Hofstra put a lot of weight on undergrad "Prestige" and rigor of the program you pursued. FSU is strongly focused on primary care and takes alot of URM students. You've got all the other Florida schools, why not FAU? If your not applying this cycle maybe spend this year beefing up your ECs? In any case best of luck, you should def have some success!

PS. If you are white and from the Caribbean that doesn't count as URM. I had a white friend apply to college as "Jamaican" since he was a Jamaican citizen and another do the same from South Africa for med school. It doesn't work lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Disclaimer: Im not in med school yet, I just applied to most of these schools and researched them a ton

Good numbers especially if your African American or hispanic, you'll def have success if you write a good app. Just FYI, but FIU and Tulane are pretty mission driven and will expect you to be able to explain why you are committed to the cities they serve, and to have spent a good amount of time volunteering with underserved populations. USF and UCF really seek out people with strong leadership experience. UF and UM are research heavy. Also UM and Hofstra put a lot of weight on undergrad "Prestige" and rigor of the program you pursued. FSU is strongly focused on primary care and takes alot of URM students. You've got all the other Florida schools, why not FAU? If your not applying this cycle maybe spend this year beefing up your ECs? In any case best of luck, you should def have some success!

PS. If you are white and from the Caribbean that doesn't count as URM. I had a white friend apply to college as "Jamaican" since he was a Jamaican citizen and another do the same from South Africa for med school. It doesn't work lol.

Thank you for the advice, I didn't even think of FAU, it slipped my mind but I will take the time and try to get research done!