Admission Difference DO vs. MD???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sng33

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of you applying to DO schhol, are there any differences as far as requirements and procedures for admission to DO vs. MD school. I am aware of the obvious difference in the two seperate applications, but are there any other requirments. For example, I have heard for DO school you must shadow a DO doctor, yet some people told me this is not a requirment. Therfor, is there anything additional experience/ pre-requisites one would have to have to apply to a DO program vs. MD?

Members don't see this ad.

The same pre-med requirements apply. The shadowing a DO requirement depends on the medical school. In other words, some require it and some don't. The admissions processes are basically identical.

sng33-- probably the most important thing to do is know WHY you want to be a DO. Is it because you feel it may be less competitive?-- not totally true in my mind as i have friends rejected from do schools and in at md's-- Or is it because this is what you see yourself doing for the rest of your life? Other than that, we all must take the same classes, same MCAT, and do well enough to convince someone to take a chance on you :)

One procedure that hits me where it hurts is the fee to hold your spot in the upcoming class. It is 1000 dollars at most DO schools. Somewhat less at the MD schools I applied to.