Are there different pre-med steps I should take, compared to MD?

Started by nickwest
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nickwest

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Are there things that DO schools will favor over MD schools? Are there differences in the way I prepare for med school/apply to med school?

Sorry if this is seemingly trivial. I am recently deciding on trying for med school and it all feels like a big, disorienting task to even start!
 
There is really no difference in preparation except you should learn a little about Osteopathic Manipulative Medicine so you can recognize what schools are talking about in regards to it. If possible, I’d also recommend that you shadow a DO physician and try to get an LOR (it helps, but not necessary).
 
Are there things that DO schools will favor over MD schools? Are there differences in the way I prepare for med school/apply to med school?

Sorry if this is seemingly trivial. I am recently deciding on trying for med school and it all feels like a big, disorienting task to even start!
As a pre-med? No. Show us that you can handle med school.

What we do like to see are:
DO shadowing
DO LOR
greater knowledge of Osteopathy than what you can learn on Wiki.