admission to FLA Osteopathic Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaybee

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi.

I'm currently considering applying to the two Fla Osteopathic schools for fall 2004. My undergrad gpa wasn't all that hot (2.9 - 4 years ago), but I have 44 credits of pre-reqs that I still need to take and so far have gotten all A's..... bio,chem,anatomy... I'm assuming I'll do well on my MCATs.... but this will still only raise my overall GPA to about a 3.2. I'll have shadowed a DO for about 6 months by the time I apply, but have no other hospital experience.

My question is, what do you think my chances are of getting into the two FLA schools and what other COM s are easier to get into.? Also, what medical professions are a little easier to get into (in terms of graduate school) other than medicine? (pharmacy, etc?)

I know, tons of questions... but I'm trying to formulate a backup plan in case I don't get into either of the Osteopathic schools in FLA since my GPA isn't too great.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

With 44 credits of prereqs left, no DO school will accept you. Also, to enter the school in 2004 you'd have to apply now in 2003 -- and you're incredibly late in the process, so strike two.

Don't quote me on this, but I read somewhere that one of the FL schools like to admit mostly FL residents.

As far as "easier" healthcare graduate schools to enter, you might consider the following:

Pharmacy (though it is competitive)
Podiatry
Optometry
Dentistry

I have no idea which of these is competitive and which are not. Good luck.

Jusr so you know, there is only 1 FL osteopathic medical school (Nova Southeastern COM).

Members don't see this ad :)
He must be referring to the new campus Lecom will open in Sarasota.

There was information from someone here in the forum that LECOM has a branch now located in Florida.... So maybe they're already accepting applicants for next year's class.... Just thought, I'd point that out.

Yes, I am referring to LEOCOM. They will be accepting in Fall 2004.

Do any of you know about the selectivity of the two in FLA compared to the norm?

I apologize...the branch of LECOM is news to me. I go to NSUCOM and I never heard about the new school!! Pretty interesting.

LECOM is news to me as well and I live in Florida. The school is not on the AACOMAS application, do they have their own separate application?:p

From what I've been told, LECOM will be accepting applicants in 2004. Pharmacy is likely to follow the year after the first year of COM classes have ended. I take this to mean fall, 2006 for pharmacy and that the first students will be admitted to COM in fall 2005.

Don't know much else about the florida campus or the one in Erie either.