Admissions breakdown

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Homoochan

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hm.. okay I was looking into some people's MDapplication stuff.. and was unpleasantly surprised.. :(

People with 4.0 GPA with 40 MCAT or 3.8 GPA with like.. idk 38 MCAT are getting rejected from almost everywhere they've applied!!!!

I definitely don't have those academic stats.. so I'm really worried..

What's the breakdown of the admission process? Is academic part only like.. 50% and interview + EC other 50%? I guess each school would be different but anyone have any idea roughly?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Look at my numbers dude. Don't worry. You're good to go!

Hm.. okay I was looking into some people's MDapplication stuff.. and was unpleasantly surprised.. :(

People with 4.0 GPA with 40 MCAT or 3.8 GPA with like.. idk 38 MCAT are getting rejected from almost everywhere they've applied!!!!

I definitely don't have those academic stats.. so I'm really worried..

What's the breakdown of the admission process? Is academic part only like.. 50% and interview + EC other 50%? I guess each school would be different but anyone have any idea roughly?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks!

20% academics + 20% ECs + 20% personality and competency as demonstrated in the interview + 10% physical appearance + 30% ?? x-factor ??

Honestly breaking this down is useless and you should know by now that many of these 4.0/40 gods are rejected across the board because they are ONLY that, 4.0/40 with nothing else.. no personality, no humanness, largely arrogant, probably entitled.

the process revolves around making the school want YOU to be their med student. some people do a better job of selling themselves, some get lucky because what they bring to the table fits well into the type of med class adcom want to construct.

the game is clearly not all about numbers, but i wouldn't go so far as to say it's a crapshoot (cough, cough, i have not applied though). the tough part is knowing what individual schools are looking for, and perhaps which parts of your application to highlight.

i wouldnt worry too much if i were you. your app is competitive: non trad w/ solid stats and interesting ECs applying to a seemingly good/ok/slightly top-heavy spread of schools. if you can sell yourself well, and perhaps get a little lucky, you'll likely be fine.

EDIT: BC as in british columbia? as in international student? my post is useless then, i have no idea how international students are looked at. all i know is ~150-200 were accepted a few years ago. idk how many applied nor how competitive it is.

Last edited:
20% academics + 20% ECs + 20% personality and competency as demonstrated in the interview + 10% physical appearance + 30% ?? x-factor ??

Honestly breaking this down is useless and you should know by now that many of these 4.0/40 gods are rejected across the board because they are ONLY that, 4.0/40 with nothing else.. no personality, no humanness, largely arrogant, probably entitled.

It's not good to generalize like that but then I guess that's one of the reasons.. I was really surprised that some of those "gods" are rejected from even safety schools.. Hm.. Hopefully med schools don't solely look at marks.. Best luck guys! :)

the process revolves around making the school want YOU to be their med student. some people do a better job of selling themselves, some get lucky because what they bring to the table fits well into the type of med class adcom want to construct.

the game is clearly not all about numbers, but i wouldn't go so far as to say it's a crapshoot (cough, cough, i have not applied though). the tough part is knowing what individual schools are looking for, and perhaps which parts of your application to highlight.

i wouldnt worry too much if i were you. your app is competitive: non trad w/ solid stats and interesting ECs applying to a seemingly good/ok/slightly top-heavy spread of schools. if you can sell yourself well, and perhaps get a little lucky, you'll likely be fine.

EDIT: BC as in british columbia? as in international student? my post is useless then, i have no idea how international students are looked at. all i know is ~150-200 were accepted a few years ago. idk how many applied nor how competitive it is.

Yeah.. I don't know how it works.. I live in Canada but I'm American citizen (but don't have SSN yet).. gotta call AMCAS and ask if I'm considered as international student whoa!

EDIT: Well.. I have duel citizenship Canadian AND US but am a permanent resident in Canada.. yeah.. it's complicated -.-

MDApps doesn't tell you how the interviews went or what the letters of rec had to say....there are lots of potential deal breakers outside the numbers.

I think if I studied my entire life, I still wouldn't pull off a 40. I cannot even comprehend receiving a score like that no matter what I do

To the OP, as others have said, you are fine for stats and will do well this cycle if the other parts of your app are good.

I checked MDapps just to be sure and it seems you aren't correct about 4.0/40 applicants getting rejected from "almost everywhere" they applied. They seem to have a median of about 4-6 acceptances per applicants.

http://mdapplicants.com/searchresults.php