• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

War Eagle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Hey I was just wondering if anyone out there knows how heavily pod admissions boards weigh gpa/mcat vs shadowing/service/extracurricular/etc.

songaila

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
Hi, it depends a lot with different schools. If you apply to AZCOM, chicago and DMU, you need to have around 3.2 and 22(good GPA compensates bad MCAT and vice versa)to be competitive. I am pretty sure most of the podiatry schools want a recommendation letter from podiatrist or at least have experience in that. I heard some good things about Temple too. However, if you don't have that, the bottom schools are easier to get accepted. You shouldn't sweat that. What's your stats?

krabmas

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 15, 2004
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Hey I was just wondering if anyone out there knows how heavily pod admissions boards weigh gpa/mcat vs shadowing/service/extracurricular/etc.

MCAT is more important and can balance a low GPA. The LORs are good to speak about your character and dedication to what you have been involved in. Extra curriculars show if you are a leader, member or joiner.

Most important is your dedication to being a podiatrist.

It is too small a profession to just want to get in. Not being the best you can as a pod makes it harder for the rest of us to make a good image of the profession.

About the Ads
D

Dr_Feelgood

Hi, it depends a lot with different schools. If you apply to AZCOM, chicago and DMU, you need to have around 3.2 and 22(good GPA compensates bad MCAT and vice versa)to be competitive. I am pretty sure most of the podiatry schools want a recommendation letter from podiatrist or at least have experience in that. I heard some good things about Temple too. However, if you don't have that, the bottom schools are easier to get accepted. You shouldn't sweat that. What's your stats?

DMU's class profile a little higher than you quoted. I would have about a 24 on the MCAT to feel comfortable applying to DMU.

War Eagle

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
What's your stats?

I'm not too worried about the academic factors. I've got a 3.9 but haven't taken the mcat yet. I haven't done any shadowing yet, but plan to do so soon. I want to apply this summer. My main worry is that about 95% of those that get into the better schools have a bachelor's degree, and I won't have completed mine. I was also too late to start the committee letter process at my school by the time I realized that I could apply. I'm just worried that a lack of extracurricular activities, bachelors degree, and committee letter would be enough to offset my academic factors. thanks for the replies.

songaila

10+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2007
Status (Visible)
3.9.....not too shabby:thumbup:

You can go to APMA and click on "contact a podiatrist" and you can shadow a podiatrist. That is how I find one to allow me to shadow. What's the rush to go to grad school without a BA/BS degree?(save money) I thought in April you can take MCAT, right?

OSUDDS

10+ Year Member
Jul 12, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Podiatry Student
I think the MCAT is available even sooner (on computer)

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.