Admissions formula!?!?!?! (UNLV)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polarnut

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just got back from 11/16 UNLV interview. It was great! I missed the part where Dr. Ancajas was talking about the admissions formula. It was something like Science GPA + Overall GPA x (AADAT + PADAT) something something that adds upto some number. And then the interview was 400 possible points. And then you add those up and you get a certain number and she said if you get higher than ~700, you'll be most likely accepted. Anybody have this formula down? ANyone know about this formula? I dont know if other schools use this as well. ANyway, if you have any info, please share! Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

polarnut said:
Hey guys! I just got back from 11/16 UNLV interview. It was great! I missed the part where Dr. Ancajas was talking about the admissions formula. It was something like Science GPA + Overall GPA x (AADAT + PADAT) something something that adds upto some number. And then the interview was 400 possible points. And then you add those up and you get a certain number and she said if you get higher than ~700, you'll be most likely accepted. Anybody have this formula down? ANyone know about this formula? I dont know if other schools use this as well. ANyway, if you have any info, please share! Thanks! :)

I hope not, that formula would only put me at 692 if I remember all of my scores and grades correctly and assuming i got the full 400 for the interview. Then again, I didn't even apply to UNLV.

Yeah, I remember some formula like that on their powerpoint presentation. I do not remember clearly, but I think it was slightly different; more numbers and 1 more x somewhere (just not sure what exactly it was). Also, when I asked Dr. Ancajas later, she told me that they have different cut-off for in-state and out-of-state applicant. So, I guess something like 750+ for out-of-state applicants maybe? Sorry that I do not remember the correct formula.

Members don't see this ad :)
If its impossible to get over 700 should I goto my interview in a few weeks? This formula does not include extra curics, difficulty of major and school, nor experience in a dental office. I am not sure I would want to be a part of a class that was formed using a mathmatical formula.

waker433 said:
If its impossible to get over 700 should I goto my interview in a few weeks? This formula does not include extra curics, difficulty of major and school, nor experience in a dental office. I am not sure I would want to be a part of a class that was formed using a mathmatical formula.
Every school uses mathematical formulas, they are called Grade Point Averages, also they will use DAT scores as well, most schools also have cutoffs for GPA's and DAT's. The formula isnt the only thing that determines whether you are accepted or not. Most people have the scores to get in. I know of 4-5 that dont have the scores to get in and still got in. The UNLV formula is so they dont have to draw a lines in the sand with regard to GPA's and DAT scores. Some schools say DAT below 17 or GPA below 3.00 and you dont get in. With UNLV you can have a low DAT but good GPA and be considered or a low GPA and good DAT and still be considered.

That's interesting...I never UNLV had a specific formula....I would also be interested to know what it is if anyone knows! Thanks!

hrmmmm that's interesting! anyone know if it's too late to apply to UNLV?

if anyone finds the correct one i'd love to hear it :)

Ok, this is how the formula works:

[(overall GPA / 4.00) + (science GPA / 4.00) ] x [ (DAT + PAT) / 60 ] x 300

If you have 4.00 overall GPA and 4.00 science GPA and 30 DAT and 30 PAT, you will get 600 total (the maximum).

The interview is worth of 400 total.

If anyone get 700+ is automatically get accepted. Anyone get below 700 is still considered, and the adcom will look at other factors such as extracurriculum, dental experiences, etc.....Therefore, someone who get below 700 DOES NOT mean he or she will be rejected, just not automatically get accepted.

To clarify the formula one more time, here is an example:

overall GPA: 3.0
science GPA: 3.5
DAT: 20
PAT: 20

then your score will be:
[ (3/4) + (3.5/4) ] x [(20+20)/60] x 300 = 325

and you will need 375 points on the interview, which is possible. Dr. Anjacas told us that the average points for most interviewees is 350 pts. And again, even if one does not get 700 total, it does not mean he is not getting in. His profile will be reviewed once again.

Dr.Smiley-OR said:
Ok, this is how the formula works:

[(overall GPA / 4.00) + (science GPA / 4.00) ] x [ (DAT + PAT) / 60 ] x 300

and you will need 375 points on the interview, which is possible. Dr. Anjacas told us that the average points for most interviewees is 350 pts. And again, even if one does not get 700 total, it does not mean he is not getting in. His profile will be reviewed once again.

I interviewed two cycles ago and had 675 total points. I wasn't accepted until early February at UNLV.

Here is something for you guys to chew on:

Hoffa and I were at UNLV the same day. What I thought was interesting was this:

They say that GPA and DAT don't really control who they pick, but then the have this "formula" (posted below) that will supposedly tell you a for "sure" acceptance letter or not. So I think that obviously your GPA and your DAT matter quite a bit if it counts for 1/2 of this overall score. Just my opinion here. Yes the interview with a faculty member and student matter 1/2 as well, but that's subjective. (Did they have a good day on the day you were there, not wake up in a pissy mood, click with you and your personality, etc.).

My faculty interview lasted about 10 minutes because the guy was running around clinic helping dental students during most of my interview with him. I just followed him around trying to not be a nuisance. So I don't know how his 10 minutes of interacting with me is going to matter. I got more questions out of the dental student than the Dr.

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsGavinC said:
Arizona also uses a formula. My honest belief is that most schools do.
I'm sure they do too... but how many of them are willing to come forward and disclose the particulars? ;)

trypmo said:
I'm sure they do too... but how many of them are willing to come forward and disclose the particulars? ;)

would be nice if they did - maybe it'd help me stop worrying. i'm a lot more comfortable when the thing is number-, rather than 'how i'm feeling this morning-, based. with my karma, my app is probably reviewed when the members of the adcoms have gotten up on the wrong side of the bed, are having bad-hair days, and just found out that their pet hamsters got eaten by an escaped boa constrictor...:D

Darksunshine said:

They say that GPA and DAT don't really control who they pick, but then the have this "formula" (posted below) that will supposedly tell you a for "sure" acceptance letter or not. So I think that obviously your GPA and your DAT matter quite a bit if it counts for 1/2 of this overall score. Just my opinion here. Yes the interview with a faculty member and student matter 1/2 as well, but that's subjective. (Did they have a good day on the day you were there, not wake up in a pissy mood, click with you and your personality, etc.).

My faculty interview lasted about 10 minutes because the guy was running around clinic helping dental students during most of my interview with him. I just followed him around trying to not be a nuisance. So I don't know how his 10 minutes of interacting with me is going to matter. I got more questions out of the dental student than the Dr.

HA! Was his name Simmons?

ItsGavinC said:
Arizona also uses a formula. My honest belief is that most schools do.
A student at UNC also mentioned to me that they have a formula for those who are definitely in and definitely out. You're probably right.

Is it possible to reach the 700 point threshold without the interview? I just did my stats and came up w/ 712.5 points and that doesn't count the interview. It seems like the most important factors are the GPA. Looks like I should have applied to UNLV as well.

jdcinza13 said:
Is it possible to reach the 700 point threshold without the interview? I just did my stats and came up w/ 712.5 points and that doesn't count the interview.

The max you can get without an interview is 600 points. The interview is worth 400 points and the max point total is 1000 points.

my bad, i just went back over the numbers and added the DAT number instead of multiplying. that makes a little bit more sense.

jdcinza13 said:
Is it possible to reach the 700 point threshold without the interview? I just did my stats and came up w/ 712.5 points and that doesn't count the interview. It seems like the most important factors are the GPA. Looks like I should have applied to UNLV as well.

I don't think so! Even if your GPA was above 4.0 due to different grade-conversion system (honor classes, A+, etc....) UNLV will use the 4.0 GPA scale to adjust your grades to a 4.0 max. And you must have a perfect score of 4.0 overall GPA, 4.0 science GPA, 30 DAT, and 30PAT to get the maximum 600pts. My guess is you have to be extremely gifted to have this 600pts, and if so you don't have to worry about getting accepted anywhere. So, redo your math and see if you make any mistake on the calculation ( such as putting parentheses around the numbers...).Good luck!

Edited: Oops! My advice is kinda late for you, oh wellll.............

Hi, who are you? I had an interview the same day as you hehe

polarnut said:

xiaoxiao said:
Hi, who are you? I had an interview the same day as you hehe

My name's Minch. I was one of only 2 asians who were there. There was this other asian guy with his dad. I was alone :D

Oh hi, I am the only asian girl in light brown :)
polarnut said:
My name's Minch. I was one of only 2 asians who were there. There was this other asian guy with his dad. I was alone :D

Darksunshine said:

In a matter of speaking, you GPA and DAT don't matter that much. Here's why: if you have a 3.0 GPA versus a 3.25 GPA, holding the DAT score the same, you total points only change by 25 points. Since the interview is worht 400 points, if you rock on your interview, just about anyone with a decent academic past can get in.

Darksunshine said:
The Doctor or the Student?

I go to UNLV and Dr. Simmons is a Dr. here.

yes, there are formulas. one of my best buddies dad is dean at a certain minnesota medical school. yes there are formulas, although they are not the only thing that decides if you get an acceptance letter or not. there is also more factors added to the equation or bonus points for certain instances (ex. in-state resident).