Admissions office member LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dunkin0703

Reaction score
I’m in a weird situation where a member of a medical school’s admission committee is also the director of an undergraduate program that I’m in. His official title in the office is “Project coordinator.” Would it be a conflict of interest to ask him for a letter of recommendation or is he not allowed to because he works in the admissions office?

Members don't see this ad.

No. A conflict of interest would mean that it would benefit him personally to write you a letter and for you to be accepted (which it doesn't, obviously). Folks on admissions committees are generally physicians and/or faculty, and they write LoRs all the time. Sounds like a great person to ask for a letter if you've had substantial interaction.

Reactions: 1 users
I’m in a weird situation where a member of a medical school’s admission committee is also the director of an undergraduate program that I’m in. His official title in the office is “Project coordinator.” Would it be a conflict of interest to ask him for a letter of recommendation or is he not allowed to because he works in the admissions office?
No. A conflict of interest would mean that it would benefit him personally to write you a letter and for you to be accepted (which it doesn't, obviously). Folks on admissions committees are generally physicians and/or faculty, and they write LoRs all the time. Sounds like a great person to ask for a letter if you've had substantial interaction.
To add to this: this faculty member may recuse themselves when it comes time to vote on your application.

Reactions: 3 users