Admissions Typos

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jaider

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, doncha think it's ironic/unfair that our applications are carefully scrutinized for typos and grammatical errors, while the admissions committees are making errors right and left on their websites-- and even the secondary applications themselves! I think it's funny. I even found mistakes on the H-A-R-V-A-R-D materials. :) I would post them here, but couldn't be bothered to find them again right now...

Of course, I forgive Harvard for their egregious mistakes, and I shall still fall over myself to accept a position there if they are able to overlook any typos that might sneak past me in MY materials and extend an invitation.

Hmmm... yeah, I think it's unfair because this whole process has me (and others, I know) acting psychotic. I'm practically too scared to turn in my applications out of paranoia: "Have I communicated everything I should have? Was that interesting? Was that kooky? Were there any, god help me, typos?!" :eek:

Thank you. That is all.

Members don't see this ad.

Jaider said:
Hey, doncha think it's ironic/unfair that our applications are carefully scrutinized for typos and grammatical errors, while the admissions committees are making errors right and left on their websites-- and even the secondary applications themselves! I think it's funny. I even found mistakes on the H-A-R-V-A-R-D materials. :) I would post them here, but couldn't be bothered to find them again right now...

Of course, I forgive Harvard for their egregious mistakes, and I shall still fall over myself to accept a position there if they are able to overlook any typos that might sneak past me in MY materials and extend an invitation.

Hmmm... yeah, I think it's unfair because this whole process has me (and others, I know) acting psychotic. I'm practically too scared to turn in my applications out of paranoia: "Have I communicated everything I should have? Was that interesting? Was that kooky? Were there any, god help me, typos?!" :eek:

Thank you. That is all.
I dont think that really matters on account of the fact that I know I did it and have received many invites for interviews.

"Have I communicated everything I should have? Was that interesting? Was that kooky? Were there any, god help me, typos?!"
Maybe you could get someone to read over your secondaries before you submit them since they could catch errors you missed? I don't think one typo will keep you out, but several probably indicates that you didn't carefully proofread your application and that would look bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe it's just me, but with a couple of the ones with type in boxes I had problems. It wouldn't let me see a preview of what it was going to look like if I just typed in the box, but when I tried to copy and paste it did this weird thing where none of the margins lined up. I ended just scrolling down thru the box and hoping I caught any errors that way.

rtmcad2319 said:
I dont think that really matters on account of the fact that I know I did it and have received many invites for interviews.

Same here

The way I see it, if I'm ever the one handing out the invites and acceptances instead of applying for them, I will forgive myself a typo or two. But typos are the prerogative and privilege of those in power, so proofreading is always in order for us peons. ;)

QofQuimica said:
The way I see it, if I'm ever the one handing out the invites and acceptances instead of applying for them, I will forgive myself a typo or two. But typos are the prerogative and privilege of those in power, so proofreading is always in order for us peons. ;)
The best thing about the word prerogative is that its spelling and its vernacular pronunciation just don't match up. It's sort of like Favre.

rtmcad2319 said:

Hey what does your signature mean: "Si vales, valeo"

If (it's) ok, I _______
What does valer mean in spanish?

Ciao!

I made one that I almost killed myself over after I found out. On my WashU secondary, I somehow put a phone number in the spot for "parent's occupation." Thankfully the nice people over at WashU adm. office let me change it after it was submitted... now that was love :love:

There are a lot of weird problems with undergraduate applications, too.

I can't believe that this extends into graduate school.

WhatUpDoc! said:
I made one that I almost killed myself over after I found out. On my WashU secondary, I somehow put a phone number in the spot for "parent's occupation." Thankfully the nice people over at WashU adm. office let me change it after it was submitted... now that was love :love:

:laugh: that's awesome

i spelled spinal cord spinal CHORD in an essay that i sent to two schools. oops.
-mota

drinklord said:
The best thing about the word prerogative is that its spelling and its vernacular pronunciation just don't match up. It's sort of like Favre.

Like February. You almost never hear anyone pronounce the first R, and when they do, it sounds weird.

riceman04 said:
Hey what does your signature mean: "Si vales, valeo"

If (it's) ok, I _______
What does valer mean in spanish?

Ciao!

It's Latin for "If you are well, I am well." -It is known as an old Roman saying. I like it because of its obvious relation to Medicine.