Admissions with extra low PCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

breeze2baby

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am just wondering if anyone had ever been admitted into pharmacy school with a very low PCAT. I am not talking about people with 98 percentile that still refer to their score as low but probably 50s or lower. If you have, then please state the school and your GPA. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am just wondering if anyone had ever been admitted into pharmacy school with a very low PCAT. I am not talking about people with 98 percentile that still refer to their score as low but probably 50s or lower. If you have, then please state the school and your GPA. Thanks

If you're really worried about it There are several schools that don't require PCAT you could apply to. Also, it may help to include your individual scores since the cumulative may not be as important as the component scores. It gives those that were accepted with low scores something to compare to.

3.50P/3.58C
No PCAT
Interviews at Western, Oregon State, USC.

If your GPA is good, then you might have a chance, but I highly doubt it. Even when schools accept student with low PCAT score, it's somewhere in the 60's, not below 50. That is just too low. I got in with a 59 (University of Appalachia), but I also just received my January PCAT score, which I did a lot better. Finallly!!!!

If you want to improve your PCAT score, just study the science and math sections, so that you can screw up on the other sections.

Members don't see this ad :)
Some people can be invited for an interview even be admitted. Not all schools that require the PCAT put high emphasis on PCAT only. GPA and other things the school is looking for in an applicant,I beleive. But I saw at some of the threads that,if you had a low Score or GPA and is still invited for an interview you must explain why and that kind of stuff. How do you explain that kind of situation? saying oh I had migraine when I took the PCAT? :) or Oh I am bad at standardized tests kinda answer. I mean every person has their own explanations/excuses. But how do you explain to the interviewers though?
don't know if it makes sense,,,
Marco.

Does anyone know.. say you get an interview, would PCAT still matter as much? I mean, they say during interviews "once you get this far your stats don't matter.." but I have a hard time believing that :rolleyes:

Well i know of schools that have told me they have admitted people with 40pcat as their lowest PCat.

I have a 45 Pcat and got an interview. all i have to do is ace it.

Well i know of schools that have told me they have admitted people with 40pcat as their lowest PCat.

I have a 45 Pcat and got an interview. all i have to do is ace it.

Where did you get an interview? I have a really low PCAT also, so just wondering. :)

I got into a school in ohio (NEOUCOM) with very low scores from october pcat 57 composite

there's a girl at UIC that got in with a 20 pcat. needless to say she was a rare exception.

There will always be those rare exceptions everywhere.

The best advice is to take the PCAT again and make your score competitive, because no matter what with a PCAT score like that you are really going to have to shine everywhere else! Sure a couple people got in here and there but do you really want to just cross your fingers and hope to be an exception or do you want to apply with confidence?

Exceptions are exceptions because they don't happen often, don't depend on them.

Does anyone know.. say you get an interview, would PCAT still matter as much? I mean, they say during interviews "once you get this far your stats don't matter.." but I have a hard time believing that :rolleyes:

Think of it as a beauty contest. Every who gets on stage is pretty. You don't have to be the prettiest (although it helps) You just have to be better than everyone else at enough to come in first (Talent, Interview, Bathing Suit, etc). Everyone who comes to the interview is not equal to everyone else. It's just that the interview helps adjust the tally so that at the end of the day they have the whole picture. PCAT can still make you or break you at the schools that take them. If you interview fairly well with a bad PCAT and someone doesn't interview as well, but doesn't bomb it, they'll probably still get in ahead of you all other factors being equal.

Sorry if you don't like the analogy, it's the best I could come up with without racking my brain too hard.:p