Admitted, but freaking out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nyinjuly

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone been admitted to a competitive, formal (expensive) postbac...just to start freaking out when it got close to time to begin?

I'm starting to realize how nice it would be not to have such a long road ahead of me. I'm positive that I don't want to continue the career I'm currently in...But I'm just so worried. I think the debt is a big factor. I'm about to take out more loans for one year of school than my husband and I have combined (I've got a bachelor's and he's got that and a professional degree). I'm so scared of debt! I think that's something I'll really need to come to terms with if I do end up in medical school.

Does anyone know what kind of attrition rate the top postbacs have? I don't want to be one of those people...

Just venting.

Members don't see this ad.

If you were admitted, I'm sure you will have what it takes to make through, the pressure of the loan might help also. Are you by any chance from NYC? if so allot of people who went to one of the more expensive program in NYC, recommend hunter for its inexpensiveness(informal, but certificate granting).
I am really in a bad position(so my advice might not be the best, but just just started hunter and thought I would tell you about what Ive heard.

If you're talking about BM, Goucher, Scripps, the average attrition rate is negilible, maybe 1-2 people per year from BM which is the largest of those three. Scripps has had maybe 1-2 people total in the last 5 years. No idea about Goucher but I doubt it's very high. Columbia, on the other hand, has high attrition rate... one of the reasons it's not one of the top postbac programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Admittedly, being scared of debt is a challenge you'll have to manage. If you go to a private school, except a minimum of $250,000 in debt by the time you graduate. Interest, of course, will accrue during residency so you should consider starting payments then. Unfortunately, there are no soft or gentle words to be spoken about the debt -- it's just one of the many sacrifices you make to follow this path. Will you be able to pay it off? If you make it through med school and residency, the answer is almost certainly, yes. If you live a frugal lifestyle through your training and continue to do so after you're an attending for a while, you'll likely be fine no matter what specialty you choose.

Being worried about debt is normal, but some of the other things you're saying deserve personal reflection. If you hate your current job, you've certainly chosen the absolutely longest path to get a new one. I don't judge personal motives, but I should mention that if you can be 100% content doing anything else, it would probably be easier to do that. 4 years of med school and another handful of years spent in residency is far too long to be miserable.

The attrition at the top 3 is not really worth mentioning. I've mentioned in previous threads that when people leave, it's because they've realized their true passion lies elsewhere and the intensity of the program just opened their minds to that. Fair enough -- it takes maturity to realize that and make a change. Everyone wonders, at least once, if they'll be the one person who just can't cut it. Yet, at the end of the year, nobody is that person and, in all likelihood, you won't be either.

Last edited:
Don't worry about debt. There are few investments with a higher rate of return than medical education.

Thanks for the replies!

Newmans - I wish I could know today whether I would be 100% content...with medicine or any other career. I'm afraid of being in too deep before I can figure this out. As far as paths other than medicine- I truly can't think of anything that would fit me. That doesn't mean there's nothing out there, but in my experience so far I haven't been exposed to any career I would rather have. I know this is just something I'll have to figure out on my own, but it's nervewracking! Thanks for the advice and encouragement. =)