Adolescent Medicine fellowship... Is it worth it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iClearDiamond

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I am very interested in this fellowship and would love to know more about it. I love working with and mentoring adolescents and plan on doing my residency in pediatrics. I would like to know if doing a fellowship in Adolscent Medicine is worth it or should I just stick to Gen Peds? I also plan on doing a lot of advocacy work for adolescents.
Thank You!

Members don't see this ad.

Fellowship trained adolescent medicine physicians will do things most pediatricians don't wish to spend a lot of time on. This includes dealing with sports medicine injuries, contraception, eating disorders, STDs and complex care of teens with psychological problems. They often are involved in academic pursuits including evaluating care protocols and best practices. They may do advocacy, but this would not be all that unique to them. Because training in adolescent health is a key mandated component of residency training, they will often be employed in places with residencies and do a lot of teaching, both lectures and clinical.

The fellowship is three extra years and the pay for a fellowship trained doc is not generally higher than without a fellowship but you've spent three additional years at a residents salary.

Does all this appeal to you? If so, then you'll do a fellowship. But it's a long way away, so don't sweat it too much now.

Reactions: 1 user
Fellowship trained adolescent medicine physicians will do things most pediatricians don't wish to spend a lot of time on. This includes dealing with sports medicine injuries, contraception, eating disorders, STDs and complex care of teens with psychological problems. They often are involved in academic pursuits including evaluating care protocols and best practices. They may do advocacy, but this would not be all that unique to them. Because training in adolescent health is a key mandated component of residency training, they will often be employed in places with residencies and do a lot of teaching, both lectures and clinical.

The fellowship is three extra years and the pay for a fellowship trained doc is not generally higher than without a fellowship but you've spent three additional years at a residents salary.

Does all this appeal to you? If so, then you'll do a fellowship. But it's a long way away, so don't sweat it too much now.
Thank you so much!