Step I Adrenal steroid synthesis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chromuffin

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How essential is it to know that 11-deoxycortisol is derived from 17-hydroxyprogesterone via 21-hydroxylase or that 11-deoxycorticosterone is derived from corticosterone, etc.? I understand it's important to know that a deficiency in 11beta hydroxylase will result in decreased aldosterone (but weak aldosterone action due to 11-deoxycorticosterone) and cortisol, and that 21 hydroxylase will result in decreased cortisol and aldosterone, 17 alpha decreased cortisol, and sex steroids. But do I really need to know the ins and outs of this pathway minus clinical presentations?
 
How essential is it to know that 11-deoxycortisol is derived from 17-hydroxyprogesterone via 21-hydroxylase or that 11-deoxycorticosterone is derived from corticosterone, etc.? I understand it's important to know that a deficiency in 11beta hydroxylase will result in decreased aldosterone (but weak aldosterone action due to 11-deoxycorticosterone) and cortisol, and that 21 hydroxylase will result in decreased cortisol and aldosterone, 17 alpha decreased cortisol, and sex steroids. But do I really need to know the ins and outs of this pathway minus clinical presentations?
My opinion is that its important
1.because that makes it easier to remember the pathology behind deficiencies
2.because you may get a question that asks you the ins/outs of the pathway
3.because thats a simple fact to get familiar with.It will take you ~1h to learn the WHOLE path.Thats so little time, that its a pitty to skip this part