adrenergic v. noradrenergic

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TJDoc7

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
dumb question, but in going over the details, kind of got confused on the basic concept...when a person/question is referrring to "adrenergic" or "noradrenergic", that means they are just talking about epi and norepi (respectively)...right? Both symp., just different mech? Know it is probably the dumbest question, but just needed to make sure of that. Not looking for a huge explanation of anything, just a simple answer.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Adrenergic refers to anything related to epinephrine or norepinephrine. Noradrenergic means specifically norepi.

my phisio teacher told us a story about a lab that could synthetise the epinefrine and gave it the name of adrenaline.. that's it. epi=adrenaline norepi=noradrenaline yeah.

Members don't see this ad :)
my phisio teacher told us a story about a lab that could synthetise the epinefrine and gave it the name of adrenaline.. that's it. epi=adrenaline norepi=noradrenaline yeah.

they patented the name "adrenaline" in the US so we couldn't use the name anymore so we had to invent a new name "epinephrine".

Epinephrine makes sense anyway.

Epi = On Top.

Nephrous = kidney.

Hormone secreted from on top of the kidney.

Doesn't adrenaline also make sense? Adrenaline = Comes from adrenals

Yup, it's all Greek and Latin to me, respectively.

Reactions: 1 user
I searched "adrenergic noradrenergic" and the first result was from SDN :thumbup:

Anyways, I'm doing a poster presentation that has to do with propranolol. Would I refer to it as blocking the beta-adrenergic or the beta-noradrenergic system? Sorry if this is a stupid question, the papers I've been reading have referred to it both ways.

I searched "adrenergic noradrenergic" and the first result was from SDN :thumbup:

Anyways, I'm doing a poster presentation that has to do with propranolol. Would I refer to it as blocking the beta-adrenergic or the beta-noradrenergic system? Sorry if this is a stupid question, the papers I've been reading have referred to it both ways.

It blocks the beta (1 and 2) class of adrenergic receptors in the sympathetic (versus para/acetylcholine) system.

I'd just refer to it as a beta blocker, lol. That's basically what everyone knows it as anyway.