Advanced Placement (AP Credit) and Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigbody

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you who have been accepted, how have med schools treated ur AP credit assuming you had some in some of the premed prereq classes likle bios 1, bios 2, gen chem 1, chem 2, phys 1, phys 2...etc....

Has anyone who got AP Credit from their college or university had to retake those courses just for the med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I had AP credit in Calculus as well as english and had to retake because certain medical schools don't accept AP credit. It sucks because I don't get any additional credit for taking the classes because I already had credit for it.

bigbody said:
For those of you who have been accepted, how have med schools treated ur AP credit assuming you had some in some of the premed prereq classes likle bios 1, bios 2, gen chem 1, chem 2, phys 1, phys 2...etc....

Has anyone who got AP Credit from their college or university had to retake those courses just for the med school?

I had quite a lot of AP credit owing to my having taken the British A levels. I had one in Bio, 1 in gen chem, 2 in physics and 2 in calculus. My pre-med advisor told me to retake the second semester of physics to show med schools that I "could handle a college physics course" even though I found that practically all the material was a boring repetition of my A levels course. He said math wasn't as important and that I could get by with the math credit.

Because I was determined not to retake any more of my AP credit classes, I applied only to schools which expressly said that they accepted such credit. Out of the schools I was looking at, only UCLA and Vanderbilt were adamant about not accepting it. I found the others to be very flexible about that.

Members don't see this ad :)
i had 12 AP credits....didnt have to take anything over again. i guess it depends on the school u apply to.

i think for more schools, the only time AP credit runs into a problem is when you dont take any other higher level courses in that subject demonstrating your proficiencity such as if you opt out of bio...take higher level bio classes or chem taking higher level chem. They just want to know you can do it. If you do wellon the mcats obviously you learned the shiz from those intro classes.