advantages for minorities

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

azurelyana

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, people:0)

Anybody knows what are admission chances of being a single mother?
Any advantages or disadvantages?
Appreciate all responses

Members don't see this ad.

azurelyana said:

Appreciate all responses

None, stop looking for shortcuts and compete just like everyone else. Are we suppose to have sympathy or feel sorry for you because you're a single mother. :laugh:

im sorry for the rudeness of that guy, but there are definite advantages. i know this cause I have a family friend on medical school admissions staff and he said that they are not allowed to discrminate on who gets in but it happens. for example, i am mexican american and i got into many schools with pretty low stats and i also received the 100,000 minority scholarship from NYU. so do not let anyone else tell you otherwise. admissions are not supposed to discriminate but they do (especially michigan, if you read some posts about them). if you have any other question do not hesitate to ask. laters

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Azulrelyana,
There are definitelly advantages, you're situation is unlike many of the other SDNers. I, for one, am Mexican, live in California in a part of town where Hispanic bilingual dentists are on high demand. California is expected to have a hispanic population majority in a short while. Hence, the need for minority professionals is not a rumor is a reality!! You will definitelly have advantages due to your minority status, schools need us!! :smuggrin:

How are you a minority? Because you made a bad choice and got knocked up? Thats something you could of prevented, and being born black is something you can't change. Thats a minority.

True, I don't know if you count as a minority, the best advice I have is to work your story into the essay/personal statement/LORs if you have a good story. I'm positive you've had a more challenging time getting through undergrad than I have so I should be expected to have higher grades than you. Put a positive spin on overcoming challenges and things like that.

TravisP said:
How are you a minority? Because you made a bad choice and got knocked up? Thats something you could of prevented, and being born black is something you can't change. Thats a minority.

Travis,

You must have thought that this forum was intended as a springboard for anonomously posting insults and degrading comments. You gave a wonderful example of one type of minority...blacks (which, by the way...most black people, with the exception of Michael Jackson, do not want to change being black. And let's all take a moment to forgive him for his confusion), but a second example is your comment to the original thread poster. It was rude and I'd like to think that on this forum views like that are in the minority. So take it elsewhere.

As someone posted earlier...your status as a single mother could very well be helpful in the admissions decision. You face hardships that many will not, and bring different considerations and attitudes to the table...traits that are looked for and fit under the scope of "minority" -- something that adds to diversity.

Best wishes!!!

Beachluvr

BeachLuvr said:
Travis,

You must have thought that this forum was intended as a springboard for anonomously posting insults and degrading comments. You gave a wonderful example of one type of minority...blacks (which, by the way...most black people, with the exception of Michael Jackson, do not want to change being black. And let's all take a moment to forgive him for his confusion), but a second example is your comment to the original thread poster. It was rude and I'd like to think that on this forum views like that are in the minority. So take it elsewhere.

As someone posted earlier...your status as a single mother could very well be helpful in the admissions decision. You face hardships that many will not, and bring different considerations and attitudes to the table...traits that are looked for and fit under the scope of "minority" -- something that adds to diversity.

Best wishes!!!

Beachluvr

well said fellow beach lover

Ok, You are NOT a minority because you are a single mother, but it DOES make you a unique applicant in the same way that an "older" applicant is unique. You have more life experiences, responsibilities, etc.... which the adcoms will look at, but it DOES NOT MAKE YOU A MINORITY!!!

A minority is based off of ethnicity, therefore hispanic, black, indian, etc... (the part that you fill in on your application), NOT your life experiences.

HOWEVER, like I said before, it does make you unique, and it really just depends on how the adcoms take that into acount.

BeachLuvr said:
Travis,

Best wishes!!!

Beachluvr

I agree with most comments on here about adding diversity, but to add fairness to the process, one should consider that people read this board, come to find out that adcoms have given scholarships to those with low stats or given preferential treatment to people with unique backgrounds is really unnecessary to the process and should be kept private. You can easily see why these rude comments pop up when someone ask for advice about special treatment.

Good luck
HD

BeachLuvr said:
Travis,

Best wishes!!!

Beachluvr

They look for URM's (Under Repersented Minorities) not "Hey I was drunk and got knocked up and now I have a kid." Why don't you people stop trying to look for shortcuts? How the hell do you expect to raise a kid and go to dental school?

BeachLuvr said:
Travis,

Best wishes!!!

Beachluvr

Beachluvr, nothing you have typed is of value here!

I agree 100% with TRAVIS,

why should this lady be treated any different. While I was in the library all week she was out getting knocked up and you think that she would stand a better chance than me in a position in dental school?

I will be glad to PM you and tell you what I think of you!

Your comments and responses are wrong and :thumbdown: she is no minority.

If that was true, could I be a minority if I go knock up some ladies? Ill knock up 10 of them so I have a better chance of gettin in.

Crazy!

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree, she is not a minority. That isn't to say she doesn't have diferent life experiences, but then, who doesn't??? So go ahead and play the I-screwed-up-and-am-now-gonna-try-and-fix-it card, but please don't try and play the minority card.

The point was not to badger the issue of what is a minority, the point...was to show that it is not necessary to ridicule someone else in order to try and prove a point.

You may PM me all you'd like. It's too bad this forum has to go down the immature pathways it goes so often

I withdraw myself from this forum.

Best wishes to those applying 2006, and to those I'll see in a couple of months at UTHouston

Beachluvr

GENERAL TSO said:

why should this lady be treated any different. While I was in the library all week she was out getting knocked up and you think that she would stand a better chance than me in a position in dental school?

If that was true, could I be a minority if I go knock up some ladies? Ill knock up 10 of them so I have a better chance of gettin in.

Crazy!

I agree that this forum has been bombarded by trashy people who are rude and have no manners at all. (miss the old times where there was nice people who posted nice and polite responses). To the OP... I guess your choice of words are wrong. Someone else pointed out to what minority consists, but single mother is not one of them. I believe you want to choose "diverse applicant" as you bring diversity to an applicant pool. I do wish you luck in getting into dental school and even if you have to work a bit harder since you are a single mother, it will be worth it at the end. Of all the schools that I applied, UWashigton seemed to really like people of "adverse background" such as being a single mother in your situation. Again good luck and don't listen to some ignorant fools who posted rude comments.

Here's an idea: 2 sdn's! One where people can go for encouragement and one for discouragement! You can clearly go through the responses on this thread and see who belongs where. I understand some people are pissed about not getting in when others who are less qualified do, but she didn't come to SDN to hear that, she wants to know what she can do from here on out so she can get in. Anyone on this forum has to admit when they were applying they used everything they could to give them an edge

I can definately see a disadvantage of having to take care of your kid(s) and the school load at the same time.

Hey sorry all. I guess I didn't realize how rude I was, and I was just caught up in the "what classifies as a minority." I will sure try to be more polite in the future.

azurelyana said:

Appreciate all responses
there are scholarships for you

GENERAL TSO said:

Crazy!

I defintely agree with you, I am sorry for the first post, I thought she was referring to her "minority" ethnicity status. Although it is definitely admirable for her desire to become a professional with a kid and all, this should NOT be considered minority status. We are all responsible for our actions past, present, and future; totally understand where the rage from the SDNers come from ;)

Hi, everyone:0)

Wow, that was very intense!!
THANK YOU to everyone who was not rude and was supportive of me:0)
I am not from the US, came here 5 years ago and really like the opportunities that all of you have in this country.
For all guys who were incredibly rude: YOU DO NOT KNOW ME, who said you can judge me?
I am very happy to have my baby - it is much more important than anything else. Sometimes, you know, you can become single mother after divorce; or you think it is always knocked up girls? Maybe from your life experience:0)?
By the way, I am finishing my third year at the University, and I did applied last year - got all interviews but did not get to the dental schools; so if you did not get in do not get your frustration on me, it is silly.
I did appreciate all good advices, and wish people who work hard to get in this time!!!
BEST OF LUCK

DAT: overall 19, science 20, PAT 21, math 16, bio 23, gen.chem 19, organic 18, english 21;
GPA: 3.2 both, science and overall;
At the time applying had ~82 undergrad hours
Applied: all TX schools
Interviewed: all above
Accepted: none (this year:0)

azurelyana said:
Hi, everyone:0)

Wow, that was very intense!!
THANK YOU to everyone who was not rude and was supportive of me:0)
I am not from the US, came here 5 years ago and really like the opportunities that all of you have in this country.
For all guys who were incredibly rude: YOU DO NOT KNOW ME, who said you can judge me?
I am very happy to have my baby - it is much more important than anything else. Sometimes, you know, you can become single mother after divorce; or you think it is always knocked up girls? Maybe from your life experience:0)?
By the way, I am finishing my third year at the University, and I did applied last year - got all interviews but did not get to the dental schools; so if you did not get in do not get your frustration on me, it is silly.
I did appreciate all good advices, and wish people who work hard to get in this time!!!
BEST OF LUCK

DAT: overall 19, science 20, PAT 21, math 16, bio 23, gen.chem 19, organic 18, english 21;
GPA: 3.2 both, science and overall;
At the time applying had ~82 undergrad hours
Applied: all TX schools
Interviewed: all above
Accepted: none (this year:0)

Texas is becoming ultra competitive this year. HAve you thought of applying outstate for the next cycle. But the cycle for texas is not over yet, so you never know!. Have you talked to the schools as too why you have not been accepted. I think your biggest factor is not having a degree. a 3.2 is great but if you apply with out a degree all the schools expect 3.5 or better. Don't worry about not getting in this cycle, keep going you will get in eventually.

HD