Advantages vs. Disadvantages of applying early?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Clinicall

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm taking my MCAT May 30th, and won't receive my score until June 2nd. I'm debating whether or not to apply early. If I bank on the idea that I get a 30, is this a good decision?

I have a good amount of unique EC's (volunteering post Hurricane Katrina, 400+ hours), shadowing, research experience, studied abroad and shadowed abroad, and was a TA for a Cardiovascular Program at my college. Additionally I have physicians from the Mayo Clinic (where I currently work) doing my LOR. Lastly I have 2 degrees, Cardiovascular Technology (A.A.S.) and Bio-medical Science (B.S.). Cumm GPA 3.75, Science GPA 3.75.

I read that if I apply early and don't get considered to a particular school, I'm more at a disadvantage getting in that school than if I had applied later in the year? Can someone give me a decent rule of thumb, perhaps if I have a projected MCAT score (from practice exams), of atleast a 30+, to go ahead and apply early BEFORE I actually get my score? I have quite a few schools I want to apply for, but are there some I should shy away from applying early, and not others? I live in Minnesota as well, if this helps.

Thank you so much for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

There are no disadvantages in applying early

/thread

Apply early to 1 school, get your application processed through AMCAS, then apply everywhere else after your score comes in.

Members don't see this ad :)
On a semi related question....why does it still take around a month for scores to come out? Wouldnt the absence of the writing portion speed things up?

On a semi related question....why does it still take around a month for scores to come out? Wouldnt the absence of the writing portion speed things up?

I remember seeing that they like to compile the scores, and to just overview and analyze them before release, making sure there was no 'funny business'? If I'm completely wrong feel free to correct me.:confused:

You wont be at any disadvantage if you apply to schools on July 2nd. AMCAS doesn't even start sending applications to schools until around that time anyway.

Like erutha said, what you should do is apply to 1 school and submit your AMCAS application on the first day (June 4) so that your application can get verified. Then once you get your score back you can add all the rest of your schools.

I read that if I apply early and don't get considered to a particular school, I'm more at a disadvantage getting in that school than if I had applied later in the year?

Understood everything except this part. Not really sure what you're saying but Ive never heard of any reason why anyone would be at a disadvantage because they applied early. You can send in the AMCAS application without the MCAT score you would just say you're waiting on the score to come in.

Applying in June is early, if I were you I'd actually forget AMCAS until may 31st (besides LORs, PS) when you finish taking the MCAT that way you can focus your attention on the MCAT. Applying June 2nd is not going to make you late by any means.

Well I will be out of the country and won't be able to apply until June 15th-ish. Is this still not too late?

Prado, can you at least elaborate on why you think that?

Apply early to 1 school, get your application processed through AMCAS, then apply everywhere else after your score comes in.

This.

Well I will be out of the country and won't be able to apply until June 15th-ish. Is this still not too late?

June 15th is fine. You can start pre-writing secondaries before then as well.

No one really knows. :shrug: It could be because they want to do analysis on the score, give time for people to complain in case something went wrong with their test, or maybe they just have one monkey processing all the scores.

What's the advantage of doing this? If you send your app to one school aren't you considered a reapplicant automatically next cycle in AMCAS (which other schools would see anyways)? Wouldn't it just be better to wait for OP's scores on July 2nd and then send out the AMCAS immediately after?

I think the OP means Early decision, rather than submitting his application at the beginning of the cycle.

The disadvantage of applying Early Decision is the fact that you can only apply to one school. So if you are not a very strong candidate you risk a rejection on Oct. 1. At that point you can then apply to all the other schools but you will be a late applicant at all those schools.

If you think you might get less than a 35 which is a good assumption you should probably just apply to several schools from the start. So apply early but not Early decision.

Will you be in the country during May? If so, you can have the whole application filled out and then hit the submit button on June 15th. That would be fine to do.