Adversity essay feedback

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhiteCoatDreamer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
i wondering if i could get some feedback on this adversity essay, just to see if I'm on the right track: Growing up in an immigrant family, my parents’ sacrifices motivated me to excel, and the challenge of paving my own path shaped me into the person I am today. I remember feeling my anxiety intensify during my freshman year in biology class, where I felt out of place compared to my peers. I had experienced imposter syndrome for the first time. However, I have learned to view it as a challenge to overcome rather than an insurmountable barrier. My parents could not guide me through the long journey ahead, so I learned on my own as I went along. Anxiety held me back initially, suffocating my potential, but perseverance helped me manage it. Seeking help from professors, joining study groups, and attending workshops led to improvements in my academic performance and confidence. My journey as a first-generation college student has taught me valuable lessons about grit, adaptability, and the importance of seeking support. I come from a close-knit family that values compassion, education, and community engagement. My family's emphasis on education played a pivotal role in shaping my aspirations. They have motivated me to excel academically and make the most of the opportunities presented to me. My background allows me to contribute meaningfully to the field of medicine and positively impact the lives of those I serve by advocating through translation and giving back to the community which has significantly shaped my journey.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,
i wondering if i could get some feedback on this adversity essay, just to see if I'm on the right track: Growing up in an immigrant family, my parents’ sacrifices motivated me to excel, and the challenge of paving my own path shaped me into the person I am today. I remember feeling my anxiety intensify during my freshman year in biology class, where I felt out of place compared to my peers. I had experienced imposter syndrome for the first time. However, I have learned to view it as a challenge to overcome rather than an insurmountable barrier. My parents could not guide me through the long journey ahead, so I learned on my own as I went along. Anxiety held me back initially, suffocating my potential, but perseverance helped me manage it. Seeking help from professors, joining study groups, and attending workshops led to improvements in my academic performance and confidence. My journey as a first-generation college student has taught me valuable lessons about grit, adaptability, and the importance of seeking support. I come from a close-knit family that values compassion, education, and community engagement. My family's emphasis on education played a pivotal role in shaping my aspirations. They have motivated me to excel academically and make the most of the opportunities presented to me. My background allows me to contribute meaningfully to the field of medicine and positively impact the lives of those I serve by advocating through translation and giving back to the community which has significantly shaped my journey.
I think you posted in the wrong forum. Try copy pasting this to a post under just Pre-med (MD) rather than under the school-specific threads. Link if you need it: Pre-Medical (MD)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
i think I am in the right forum now. The prompt was:We recognize that our applicant pool is multidimensional. Please help us learn more about you by sharing any background information you feel is important or that has influenced your lived experiences, educational journey, opportunities, etc.

i think I am in the right forum now. The prompt was:We recognize that our applicant pool is multidimensional. Please help us learn more about you by sharing any background information you feel is important or that has influenced your lived experiences, educational journey, opportunities, etc.
This isn't an adversity prompt. Tell us about you.

I think it does a decent job of answering the prompt (the last sentence sounds a bit funky to me). Mentioning anxiety and mental health may or may not be risky, so consider modifying that.