Adversity Essay Topic Suggestion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redpanda71

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for reading! I have 3 topics I am considering for an adversity essay and was hoping to get some feedback.

1. Moving to the US at 8 years old and barely speaking English, feeling very excluded because of this, falling behind in class due to not understanding the teacher's instructions or being able to communicate with my peers. I'd then talk about how I became very determined to better my English and did so through lots of practice, ESL, reading, etc., then connecting it to older family members who do not speak English and disparities in healthcare due to language barriers.

2. Moving from a highly Hispanic area (I am Latinx), to a predominantly white area and being the only Latinx person in my middle school and later one of 2 in my high school. My peers would poke fun at me/my parents and look to me as the spokesperson for any South American country (even if I knew no more about the country than them). I was initially ashamed for how I stuck out and tried to change myself to blend in, but over time grew to be proud of my background, started standing up for myself and my family.

3. While being away at college, very focused on school and not really in touch with my family, a family member attempted self-harm (they are okay with me writing about it). I did a lot to make the situation better. The main personal challenge then comes after this, I am now stressed about balancing time to keep up with family and make sure all is okay while also keeping on top of school. I work to balance my time and reach out to people, eventually finding a way to balance everything and learning that it is possible to make time for your loved ones despite busy academics. I'd also discuss learning to place importance on mental health and to be there for others + related ECs I did related to mental health.

Members don't see this ad.

I would not recommend using number 1 as an adversity essay. The main problem is that your post only focuses on your formative years and not a current struggle. With the proper tone and emphasis, Number 2 could be used for adversity but it seems like it would fit better in the diversity category. In addition, this topic has been done numerous times over so you really need to make sure you go about it in a creative way. Lastly, I think number 3 feels more at home with the "why MD" prompt but could work and I personally think it is your strongest bet out of the three.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user